This Is Why We THON

People Ask Why We THON, And This Is Why

Cancer cannot.

382
Jordyn

$10,621,683.76

That is how much money was raised at THON 2019.

THON happens once a year at Penn State University. It is a 46-hour dance marathon. The dancers that participate in this event are not allowed to sit or sleep for the 46 hours. The event starts at 6:00 pm on Friday and the dancers are not allowed to sit until 4:00 pm on Sunday. This year there were over 500 dancers and the remaining students, about 16,000, took shifts of dancing for the 46 hours. During the time when these students are dancing, they are showing everyone what cancer cannot do. They are taking a stand.

That 10 million dollars that was raised goes to Four Diamonds. Four Diamonds is an organization that assists families that have a child with cancer so they do not have to pay a medical bill EVER.

All the money that is raised goes right to Four Diamonds to give to the families. I have seen first hand how amazing this gift is. When a family hears that their child has cancer, they do not want to start worrying about the medical bills that follow. From the lab tests to musical therapy, to hospital night stays, to the research to find a cure, that is where the money goes.

I had the privilege of attending THON this year and it was an amazing experience that I believe everyone should be a part of. It shows what cancer cannot do.

Cancer cannot take away kids.

Cancer cannot be a monster anymore.

Cancer cannot make people feel helpless.

Cancer cannot make people feel weak.

Cancer cannot have power.

That is why so many students participate.

That is why so much money was raised.

That is why these hundreds of families do not pay a single medical bill.

Every child is worth something.

Every person is worth a fight.

So I challenge you next year, to find a way to help THON 2020.

Because at the end of the day, it is all For The Kids.