Why I Want to be a Music Therapist

Why I Want to be a Music Therapist

Here are a few reasons why I want to be a music therapist.

129
Why I Want to be a Music Therapist
different dream

I recently saw a few of my nursing major friends post an article about why they want to be a nurse. This really got me thinking about why I want to be a music therapist. What's funny is that I was just asked about this earlier in the day. We all have different groups of people that we want to work with. After all of that, why do we want to help others? I mean, that's our end goal with our major. I don't have it all, but maybe some of you who think I'm crazy for wanting to work in a correctional facility will start to understand why I want to work there.

I want to be a music therapist because music has helped me through the worst parts of my life. I want music to be what helps those struggling through the worst parts of their lives. I want to be able to play someone's favorite song to help them get out of whatever funk they are in. Some days it might not work, but in the end, I know it will.

I want to work with prisoners because they are people too. They might not have made the best choices in life or maybe they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Either way, maybe they need to be rehabilitated as well as being reprimanded. I know what many are thinking. I wouldn't last a day working with these prisoners. I tend to be quiet and one look at me proves that I'm the one that will lose the fist fight. I know that I'll need to set my safety aside and step outside of my comfort zone. But if I can help just one person, I think that the fear might subside a little. After all, these people are in this place because they need to remember that they are people. If that's something I can help with, then it'll all be worth it.

I want to be a music therapist because I want to make sure no one feels alone or worthless. I want to make sure that everyone that comes into my life never feels how I'v felt before. I was told that the thing that you struggle with the most is the place that will be your passion to service. I struggle with my value and loneliness every day. I might be going into a place where "good" people don't dare go. And that's okay. Maybe that makes me less of a person or a less moral person, but I don't care. This is what's pressing on my heart right now.

Think about why you're pursuing what you are pursuing. This was hard for me, but I believe that if it's something you truly want to do, you'll find reasons deep withing in your heart. It's okay if you can't come up with them right away. It's even okay if they appear to be a little shallow at first. At least you have some. I hope some of you understand why I want to work with the population I want to work with. And I hope all of you find reasons that you want to do your jobs or future jobs.