Six Reasons I am Striving to Be Makeup Free

I have Alicia Keys to thank for this inspiration.

55
YouTube.com

Recently, Alicia Keys has decided to be makeup free while appearing as a coach on the current season of The Voice. Women who are watching her make this bold move have been completely inspired. I am definitely one of those women.

I am also one of those women who have bought into societies expectations for women to paint on their face every morning. And let me tell you I'm sick of it. I am sick of feeling like I have to meet a standard every single day.

I am striving for a change. Keyword: striving. I know sometimes there will be instances where I will want to doll myself up. I don't see anything wrong with that. Makeup can even be fun sometimes!

The problem is when it's everyday. It's exhausting and discouraging at times.

Here are six reasons why I am striving to me makeup free:

1. It saves money.

Have you ever calculated how much money you spend on these products? If you haven't do not start. You will become wildly disappointed in yourself. InStyle Magazine predicts the average American woman will spend $15,000 on makeup in her lifetime. This actually scares me because there are a lot more important things I could be investing my money in.

One of the reasons I want to stop wearing makeup as much is it costs us so much for these products! The more we wear them on a daily basis, the more money we will spend on them naturally. Why not give ourselves a little financial break by making one simple change?

2. It's a healthier option

Most products have harmful chemicals and germs that can really damage your skin. I won't even mention the terrible things that accidentally falling asleep with makeup on can do! Putting heavy amounts of makeup on our face also clogs pores and that is when blemishes happen.

The more we limit the amount of products we put on our face, the more our skin will have the ability to be blemish free and glow! Our faces will be able to breathe and feel better!

3. It's a confidence booster.

Now it's not going to happen immediately. It takes time to transition from having the comfort of makeup daily to absolutely nothing to hide behind. I would be lying if I said I'm not struggling with this currently.

However, once you get used to who you truly are—without makeup, it's the most empowering thing you can do for yourself.

4. It saves time.

Women's Health Magazine records that a woman on average spends 55 minutes priming themselves daily. That probably also includes hair, but I'd bet that a majority of that time is spent on putting on a face.

If we cut out this time, we are able to now spend more time in the morning sleeping in, or taking out time to eat breakfast. This might seem like a small portion of your life, but I have found this extra time to be so valuable.

5. It is just a simpler way of life.

When I am wearing makeup I couldn't even tell you the amount of times I have to go into the bathroom and check it. Make sure my mascara isn't running, foundation didn't get on my clothes, and that my lips still look glossed enough. The list goes on and on.

The beauty in embracing yourself is that you can walk around and not have to worry about if your makeup is on point, because it's 100% you.

6. It forces you to take better care of your skin.

Of course, if you are going to put yourself out there with no makeup, you'll want your skin to look as great as possible. There are so many products out there that are natural and can help you glow!

Since making this change, I have found that I have taken so much more pride and care in my natural face. I am using products that thoroughly clean and make my skin as presentable as possible.

So like I said, I would be completely lying if I were to tell you I'm never going to wear makeup again. I am not saying that women who don't want to give this up are doing life wrong, because they aren't.

Unfortunately in America right now, if you are a woman looking to be in the working world, wearing makeup is a must, or you'll be considered unprofessional. So I know this is something that is just part of life, and that I might face this struggle in the near future.

However, during this phase of my life, being a college student, I am growing to appreciate the woman that God has made me to be—naturally, without makeup.

Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight. 1 Peter 3: 3-4.