Why Understanding Science is Important for Your Lasting Makeup Look

How oil and water are the most essential ingredients in your makeup, and what you need to know about them

12
healthline.com

If you're like me, you're no science genius, but very into makeup. Like all things, makeup is made from a list of ingredients, most of which you don't even know. Most products are made with a water base, or an oil base. And as you all know, water and oil do NOT mix. Here are some basic ways to understand how the science of makeup works to get you a longer lasting look.

Products always work best when you buy from the same brand because they have the same formula for their products, and use the same base. Buying from the same brand can get pricey though, so here's what you need to look out for when combining brands.

So, first of all, you have to know your skin type, because having a water or oil base will matter based on your skin type. Contrary to popular belief, when you have oily skin, you want to have an oil based makeup. Your skin is so used to have oil on it, that have an oil based makeup won't make your face reject the makeup coming onto your face. Just like how the water, and oil won't mix in your products, it won't mix on your face either. Your face will actually be less oily when using oil based makeup. Also, another tip, the less powder you use the better. Your skin will be trapped in the dryness of powder which will result in your face releasing more oils. When you have dry skin you want to use water based makeup to help make your skin more hydrated. This will help the makeup set, and absorb on your skin, which will result in your makeup lasting that much longer. The constant hydration from your makeup will help cover up any dryness too. Using the correct base will leave your makeup looking dewy, and glowy.

When looking at the ingredients, look to see if water, or oil is listed first. Which ever is listed first tells you what the base of the makeup is. Once you found one product, you can compare the ingredients to other products. And while one product may be really good, if the base does not match what you need, it will not work as well on you.

While shopping for makeup may just seem like picking out colors that match your skin tone, it is so much more to make sure the product is a good match for you! Happy shopping!