Why Traveling Is Always A Good Idea

Why Traveling Is Always A Good Idea

An investment in travel is an investment in yourself.

928
Why Traveling Is Always A Good Idea
Meaghan Nunley

Traveling is a huge part of our lives as humans, because we long to see what's on the other side, and we're eager to see what life is like for other fellow humans. It may be that you are a writer or a photographer who wants to observe ways of life, or you may be an average person who just simply loves the excitement of being in a new and unfamiliar place.

Traveling has its perks, such as trying new food or trying new things, but it also has its health perks. It is scientifically proven that traveling is healthy for your mind, body and soul. So here is a list of reasons why traveling is always a good idea.

1. It makes you more open to trying new things.

Many people are picky about food, places they go, places they stay and people that surround them. They are just not adventurous at all, period. It's proven that the more a person travels, the more they are open to trying unfamiliar things, like scuba diving in the Bahamas, trying delicacies like fried grasshoppers in Thailand or even sleeping in a hanging tent on the side of the mountain after a long day of rock climbing. No matter how crazy it is, almost all travelers are susceptible to trying at least one insane thing.

2. It makes your brain grow. Literally.

When you visit a new and difficult place, your brain literally grows extensions called dendrites that make your brain grow capacity-wise. It welcomes new ideas and fresh knowledge from learning about different cultures and ways of life in foreign countries. The level of stress that comes with traveling is also good for your brain, because your brain becomes more engaged and you begin to process things on a deeper level than usual. It doesn't exactly have to be a dramatic trip, like climbing Mount Everest or traveling to the deepest jungles of Asia, but it can be a simple hike on a nearby trail or even a short walk in a quiet park. Those mini journeys create memories and you gain experiences.

3. It creates a different perspective.

Right now, you have your own perspective on life and everything around you. You have your own opinions and your own way of thinking, as well as your own way of solving issues. When you travel to an unfamiliar place, you begin to see a different way of life to which you've never adapted. You get to observe ways of life that are completely different from yours, wherever you live, and you get the chance to actually be in another earthly dweller’s shoes. A different perspective allows you to solve problems from a detached view, through someone else’s eyes.

4. It promotes heart health.

It is scientifically proven that physical movement, such as hiking, biking, walking, swimming, etc, lowers blood pressure and the risk of heart disease. According to the Framingham Heart Study, a study that has been around since 1948, says that women who travel every six years or less were almost eight times more susceptible to heart disease and heart attacks compared to the women who travel at least twice a year. The explanation is that if you get out your comfort zone, you will become less stressed, because you'll be away from your daily activities that increase your stress level.

5. It can positively affect your personality.

You begin to look at life from a different point of view when you're finally out of your comfort zone, because you begin to realize the big moments aren't the only important moments. The little moments are also the reasons why you are who you are today. All of the moments in life are the moments that brought you to this point of your life.

You also become more patient with others and the world. You learn how to become more patient with your expectations and with the way others may carry themselves. Waiting is OK, and you actually get hands-on experience when you travel. Once you learn to look at things from a different perspective, you begin to accept the fact that everything happens for a reason.

6. It enhances creativity.

Traveling enhances your creativity levels when you become inspired by your surroundings, by the way the locals go about their day, by how busy the city really is compared to your expectations and even by the landscape surrounding you. It's also scientifically proven that hiking or simply walking somewhere quiet like a mountain, the jungle or even the woods will increase your creativity levels by 50 percent.