Why Traditional Worship Is Important

Why Traditional Worship Is Important

Let's continue that conversation.
65

Last week, we looked at Why Contemporary Worship Is Important, but I don't want to undervalue the importance of Traditional Worship. There's a reason why this war is going on between the two styles. They each have unique qualities to offer. They each have an importance that shouldn't be overlooked. However, at the end of the day, it's all worshiping God. Why should it matter what form it's in?

Conituning with the theme, here's a few reasons why Tradition Worship is important.

1. Tradition

There's a reason it's called "Traditional" worship. For years, this was the the only way people knew how to worship God. Because of that, we should preserve this form of worship. We found a way to preserve secular musical pieces by Mozart, Bach, and many more, so why not this? Besides, it's part of our history, and we'll be doomed if we start forgetting our history.

2. Written Music

If you are one of those lucky souls who can read music, not only do you have the melody written right in front of you, you also have harmonies available. It can be difficult coming up with one on your own, but hymnals have them written in. If you can sight-read, you'll never be lost.

3. Liturgies

There's something about a liturgy you can't find anywhere else. The congregation is reciting these words, often in the form of a prayer, together, as one body. There's a simple beauty that's difficult to explain.

4. Hymns

Yet another form of elegance. Some hymns capture a form of elegance that Contemporary Worship just doesn't have. They're more reserved, but some people prefer that. It's controlled in a different way from contemporary worship, and allows for a different atmosphere.

5. Bands and Choirs

These make it easier for more people in the congregation to be included in leading worship. A contemporary band only has room for so many people to serve at a time. A band/orchestra or choir is only limited by space and skill levels of the group as a collective. Plus, you can achieve a different sound with these groups.

6. Conductor

As I said in the last article, Traditional churches have a director leading the congregation in worship. Not only do they act as the Worship Pastor, but they help the church know exactly where they are in the music by keeping the tempo displayed in front of them. This adds a layer of confidence to the congregation that is a bit different than you'd find in Contemporary Worship.

7. Special Songs

If you have ever been to a church with Traditional Worship, you know exactly what I'm talking about. It's the piece that sung/played during the offering, or someone comes up to perform this piece all on it's own. This musical number allows the congregation to learn how to worship God while just listening. As we all know, we have to listen to God to receive His direction. Yes, that looks different for everyone and in every situation, but how will we know if we don't take the time to listen. The special song helps us to put that into practice.

BONUS: Hand Bell Choirs

I'm not even sorry for making this it's own point. I love bell choirs, yet I can only find them in churches with Traditional Worship. Honestly, I miss them. The sound is absolutely beautiful. I think they should make a come back.

Again, I'm not trying to convince you to change your style of worship. There is value on both sides of this coin. Worship is not about the music or the methodology. For many, it helps, but singing a song or reading a prayer is not the only way to worship God. Matthew 22:37-38 says "Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. "" We should be doing exactly that, not fighting over who has the "correct" style of worship. The correct style is in it's name: worship.