Why I Think New Year's Resolutions Are Important To Make

Some may think New Year's resolutions are foolish, I think they are progress.

7

It's that time of the year again—the time of anticipation to transition from New Year's Eve to New Year's Day. It marks the end of one year and the commencement of a brand new year. It's like the end of one chapter of life and the start of the next.

Every year, countless people make New Year's resolutions of what they hope to change and accomplish in the new year. Some people believe that New Year's Resolutions are a waste of time and foolish. For example, many people make a resolution to start going to the gym more. Going to the gym more is just one really common resolution. The possibilities of things people can resolve to either do or not do are practically infinite and definitely vary from person to person. Usually when people resolve to start going to the gym more, they are good for maybe a month or so, but then they get busy and perhaps even a little lazy and miss a gym session here and there. Before they know it, their resolution has gone out the window, they settle, and agree to try harder the following year when they make the same resolution again that they couldn't keep the year before.

Therefore, some people believe there's no point in making New Year's resolutions when they are most likely just going to get broken and ignored. Peoples' intentions are usually good, but the effort and dedication to follow through with keeping the resolutions is usually lacking. Some people also believe they are a waste of time and silly because they feel people shouldn't wait all the way for a new year as an excuse to make a change in their lives. They believe that if you really want to do something, you should get started on it as soon as possible instead of using New Year's as an excuse or a reason. To an extent, I agree with this.

I believe that New Year's Resolutions are important. Call me sentimental, hopeful, optimistic, or perhaps even a little bit naive, but I like the idea of a New Year signifying a fresh start. Sure, resolutions and fresh starts shouldn't and don't only occur on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. Each day—rather each moment—is a beautiful blessing, gift, and opportunity to create a resolution, make a change, create an impact, follow your passions, enjoy life, etc. People shouldn't wait until New Year's to realize this, but I think it definitely does create an extra incentive and spark additional motivation.

So, even if you wind up breaking your New Year's resolutions, make them anyway. Don't let the fear of breaking them stop you from trying to make a change. Failure can be a very scary thing, but if you never try, you never know. If you don't try at all, you already practically have a 100% chance of failure. But if you at least try—and really give it your best and your all—you are already paving your path towards success. And if you do make a New Year's resolution like going to the gym for example, and you miss a workout or two, it's no big deal. Things happen. That in no way means that you failed or that it's over and not worth continuing and trying. Get back out there the next chance you get, go to the gym, and get your workout in. This same outlook of perseverance not only applies to the gym, but also to basically everything else that you do in life.

Nobody is perfect. We all make mistakes and hit a few bumps in the road along the way—that's just called being human. You might mess up a little bit here and there, but that's ok. It can teach you valuable lessons and help you grow. It's all part of the process and the journey, so please don't be so hard on yourself. The important thing is that you still try your best to change, succeed, and accomplish anything it is you are either trying to do or not do.

So this New Year's, set some New Year's resolutions for yourself. It doesn't have to be anything major—but it definitely can be if that's a goal of yours. Think of this New Year as a fresh new start and a blank page to write your life's story on. Because this New Year—along with every other moment of your life—is a time to have fun, enjoy yourself, love others, be a good and kind person, make memories, be positive, make a change, and simply live your life!