Why There Shouldn't Be A Straight Pride Parade

5 Reasons Why There Shouldn't Be A Straight Pride Parade

It would just be traffic.

1465
https://pixabay.com/photos/csd-parade-show-me-rainbow-2735009/

It's June, which means it's the month of Gay Pride! June isn't just a random month chosen to celebrate the LGBTQ+ community. June commemorates the Stonewall Riot that occurred on June 28, 1969, when gay, bisexual, lesbian, and transgender people rioted at the Stonewall Inn in NYC after a police raid.

During this month, many homophobic a**holes hate even more than usual on the LGBT community. This year, people are even plotting a "Straight Pride Parade" because they're that homophobic. Here are five reasons why that shouldn't be a thing.

1. Straight Pride is EVERY DAY.

Being straight, when do we have to fear that we're going to be harassed, beaten up, or killed because of who we love? Being straight, do we have to hide a part of us from the world because we're scared of being judged? Do we have to "come out"?

No. We don't have to be afraid while walking down the street holding hands with our partner because that's considered "normal". We don't have to be afraid because it's socially accepted by everyone.

2.  Pride celebrates inclusion and self-acceptance.

No matter who you are, gay, straight, bi, or trans, Pride events welcome everyone. Pride festivals are all about celebrating who you are and including anyone because not all of society includes everyone. Pride is a safe place where you can be who you are.

3. A “Straight Pride Parade” would just be traffic.

Honestly, it would just be a bunch of homophobic Americans drinking beer and swinging the American Flag around.

4. Gay Pride celebrations are filled with nothing but good vibes.

I went to my first Pride Celebration in Philly last weekend, and everyone was walking around gassing each other up and complimenting each others' outfits and makeup looks. It was honestly such a confidence booster because, that day, I felt like I didn't look good.

5. If you’re different, you SHOULD celebrate.

It takes some serious courage to come out about who you are, especially with hateful people out in the world. Be proud of who you are because that's the most courageous thing you could do.

To anyone that's a part of the LGBT community, this is your month. Celebrate yourself and how far you've come. I know society still isn't where it should be in terms of acceptance, but we'll get there. Just know that, even at the roughest times, you still have your community and people that support you, no matter what.

Straight pride is every damn day. The least we could do to show our love and support to our courageous loved ones that are true to themselves is join them in celebrating who they are.

Be yourself and be PROUD of who you are.