Why the US Needs to Have Nationwide "Red Flag" Laws

The Red Flag Laws, which have been passed in 11 US states (including DC), are one of the recent gun reform measures to tackle issues surrounding gun ownership and mental health.

2
Image by Thomas Ulrich from Pixabay

Sidenote: This plot and any facts in this story are not real. However, this was meant to represent the challenges of reporting suspicious activities involving guns in states that lack Red Flag laws.

For reference, Red Flag laws are those that allow police to confiscate guns from a person via court request. They must cite their concerns regarding the person's threats or serious mental illness. If person's gun(s) confiscated, they will appear in front of judge, who will then determine if they are responsible to keep their own guns. If the judge finds not, then the guns are confiscated from that person for a full year. (Spencer)

Family 1

"Hey Paul, take a look at what Joe posted over here" Ana said.

"Wow, that's really scary! Do you think we should call someone, like the police?" replied Paul.

The couple sat next to each other looking at what was on their computer screen.

"No, I don't think that they'll be able to do anything"

"Are you sure? This is pretty scary of Joe to post on his social media. I mean he should know that we all are seeing this"

"Maybe that's what he wants" Ana said with much uncertainty.

"Yeah, that's why we should call the police" Paul said.

"No, I think we shouldn't. If he finds out that we reported him, we might be causing more trouble for ourselves" Ana explained.

After a minute of thinking about this, Paul replied "I don't like it, but I agree".

The couple decided to not call the police, as they believed that reporting this post on social media would resort to no action.

Family 2

"Hey Mom! I have something to show you" Thomas yelled.

"I'm here. What am I reading?" said the mom.
"This"

The mother and son looked at their computer closely.

"Isn't that the weird white guy from across the street?" Thomas asked.

"Thomas, how many times do I have to tell you, his name is Joe" the mom replied.

After pausing for a couple of seconds, she said "Thomas, I want you to stay away from that guy. You know what, stay in the house tomorrow, I don't want you going to school. I'll call in and say you got an illness or something" the mom explained.

"Well is there anything else we should do?" Thomas asked.

"Let's report it to Facebook"

The mother and son reported Joe's post to Facebook, then went about their evening.

Person 3

Ramon was scrolling through Facebook when he stumbled upon Joe's post. He read it, and in shock, read it again. He became worried that something might happen. He then phoned the local police station.

"Yes, we just Joe's post. However, while it is a bad post, we cannot really do anything unless we have evidence that he is going to do something bad, okay?" the police officer explained on the phone.

"Yes ma'am, thank you"

Ramon hung up the phone, and didn't rest that easy.

Next day

Joe followed through with his facebook post, and used his 2nd amendment rights in using guns to shoot a couple of people in a nearby park before killing himself.

Facebook Post: "Might be time to teach illegals near me a lesson" + gun emoji.

Photo background: Park

For Further Reading:

Terry Spencer "Florida 'red flag' gun law used 3,500 times since Parkland"