Why The Summer Blockbuster Is Dying

Why The Summer Blockbuster Is Dying

It has a lot do with exhausting franchises.

73
Why The Summer Blockbuster Is Dying
Wallpaperdx.com

Despite this 90 degree weather, fall is basically here, the kids are back in school, and another season of summer movies has come to a (disappointing) end. Besides the Christmas season, summer is one of the biggest times for major film releases. Traditionally, summer has been the season when all the big action blockbusters are released and the best, most hysterical comedies make their debut.

But this summer has proven that that trend is slowly dying, and the era of the "Summer Blockbuster" is on its way out. What was supposed to be one of the biggest films of the summer, "Suicide Squad" couldn't even stand up to the third-day challenge, and by the Saturday of its opening weekend, it suffered a steep decline with a 41 percent drop in ticket sales.

So what's happening that our summer blockbusters are no longer achieving as much success as they did in the past? Well, there's a few reasons...

1. Seasons Don't Matter Anymore

In the good old days, people saved up their money for the more relaxed times of year to go see films in theaters. Around the holidays, families would treat their kids to days at the cinema to get out of the house and away from the cold. During the summer months, teens and young adults finally had the time and money to visit the theater, looking for action-packed hits or gut-busting comedies. That's not the case anymore. As "The Revenant," "Deadpool," and "Zooptopia" have proven, people will go see a movie any time of the year as long as it has enough hype. The idea that only the best movies are released between May and August and Thanksgiving and Christmas is old fashioned and no longer relevant in today's world.

Studios know this, and therefore they're releasing the films they want to "stand out" during times of the year when the market isn't saturated with other, similar films. "Deadpool," for example, with it's tiny little budget and big adult rating, wouldn't stand a chance alongside a season flooded with Marvel and other family-friendly superhero movies. So they released it on Valentine's Day, a bold move that ensured that "Deadpool" would be the only superhero flick in the theaters at that time. And, as I've mentioned before, it was a huge sucess, and "Deadpool" is now the second most sucessful Rated R movie of all time. "Zootopia" took a similar approach, releasing in early spring and avoiding having to battle it out with "Finding Dory" and "The Secret Life of Pets" later in the season. And it worked as well, "Zootopia" become an overnight sensation, and a lot of that had to do with the timing. Summers are becoming clogged with duds, so the real good movies are starting to seek attention in the grey areas of the year that have very limited releases.

2. Reboot, Remake, Franchise Fatigue

It seems like summer is the season where franchise hopefuls go to die. Between this summer's "TMNT: Out of Shadows" and "Alice Through the Looking Glass" completely bombing at the box office, and even safe-bets like X-Men: Apocalypse" not doing too well either, it's clear the summer audience is sick of franchising. Reboots, remakes, and franchising are saturating the summer market, and audiences, through bad reviews and a lack of ticket sales, are beginning to make it clear that they want something new during this season.

It's no surprise then that some of the most successful films of the summer were in the horror genre (shocking, as horror has never fared well during the summer ever). "Lights Out" was released smack dab in the middle of summer season and did very well considering it's genre, grossing well above what it was expected to make. But the real hero is "Don't Breathe" which, as an almost after thought of a summer film, is already set to dethrone "Suicide Squad," what was supposed to be the biggest blockbuster of the season, at the box office. It's never been as clear before that the summer audience is begging for movies that aren't reboots, remakes, or franchises. All it takes is the bare minimum of originality for a summer film to take off.

3. Everyone is Trying to Be Marvel/Disney

The cinematic universe both changed the game of cinema and destroyed it. Marvel/Disney has had its formula down-pact since "Iron Man," and since then every other studio has been trying like hell to be on the same train to success. But once again, every other studio fell where Marvel/Disney succeeded. "X-Men: Apocalypse" was only enjoyable for those who were familiar with the (very confusing) X-Men universe; "Suicide Squad" was a fan failure. "Captain America: Civil War" was the only true winner of the summer superhero season, pleasing both fans and critics alike. The problem is that as Marvel/Disney continues to be more successful with their cinematic universe, every other studio is going to continue to try and mimic their success.

I've heard rumors that the controversial "Ghostbusters" reboot is setting itself up to be a cinematic universe, breaking off with different groups of Ghostbusters and various levels of evil ghosts. And, just like with the reboot, remake, and franchise fatigue, this is a tactic that is showing a lot more failure than success. Audiences are bored with overarching plots that span across three or four movies, and this summer's repeated amount of failures shows that. In a market flooded with movies that require an encyclopedia of knowledge to understand, audiences are starting to crave, once again, simple, 90 minute stories that have very concise and clear beginnings, middles and ends.

But don't worry; While the summer blockbuster might be coming to an end, the fall and spring blockbusters are just getting started.