Why 'The Greatest Showman' Is The Greatest Show Of Its Time

Hot off the press, this movie is gracing the world with its beauty and appreciation for true difference.

391
TSG Entertainment

Time and time again, I’m left blown away by the simplicity that movies tend to bring. They are usually predictable with the same storyline and/or leave me feeling unfinished.

But above all, "The Greatest Showman" breaks all of these perceptions exceptionally. Hitting theaters on December 22nd, "The Greatest Showman" was directed by Michael Gracey with popular film stars Hugh Jackman, Zan Efrom, Keala Settle and Zendaya. This movie left me in awe of its production and appreciation for the arts, music and the gift of humanity.

The movie itself is very interesting because this is the first major film Gracey has directed. If you haven’t figured it out, the movie is also a musical. When creating the movie, Gracey hired two songwriters, Benj Pasek and Justin Paul, in 2013. They are best known for their work in "La La Land," as well as "A Christmas Story" and "Dear Evan Hansen."

I guess you could say I’m a bit biased saying this is one of the best movies I’ve ever seen, but it is one of the best movies I have ever seen. I am a huge fan of musicals and plays, so maybe it’s just destined that I like this movie, but it’s one of the best musicals I’ve seen. According to Hugh Jackman, it took seven years to develop the making of this movie due to studios being unwilling to take a risk on an originally made musical.

So as a wrap, if you don’t know what "The Greatest Showman" is about, it delivers the inspirational story of P.T. Barnum and his creation of the Barnum & Bailey Circus. The story shows the developmental process and hardships that Barnum went through to create what is now known to be the circus. Not only does the movie deliver these points exceptionally, it also has one of the most well-created soundtracks I have ever come across. From beginning to end, each song carries the story from one point to the next.

Track 1: "The Greatest Show."

The song that opens and closes the movie, this track really exemplifies what "The Greatest Showman" is about. The movie has one of the best openers I’ve ever seen through its depth and angles.

The Greatest Showman carries itself well from one song to a next. Knowing it’s a musical, I don’t think you’re ever left bored feeling short of music. Each song is completely different from the next. Even songs that are repeated and reprised throughout the movie, they all sound like their own piece with their own appreciation.

Track 4: "Come Alive."

In my humble opinion, this song is one of the main songs that brings the whole movie together. Jackman starts out the song when he’s at the beginning stage of his circus production and his show is being presented for the first time. With every act being wary and nervous about what the public is to think of them, this piece really presents itself as confidence and acceptance.

"The Greatest Showman" not only presents the basis for arts beautifully but discusses the topic of acceptance and humanity throughout its entirety. Barnum goes through creating a cast of all different types of people. It discusses the obvious fact that people are attracted to things that are odd or not considered “normal.” It discusses the topic of racisms and how little people are of accepting difference.

Track 7: "This Is Me."

What really is the anthem of this movie, this song really sets out a wonderful message for accepting yourself for who you are and what you are born as. "This Is Me" is carried out by Keala Settle along with the majority of the circus crew.

Track 11: "From Now On."

The last song of the tracklist, this song really sets up the finale for the movie. After going through the downfall of the movie, Jackman finds himself in a lull of despair and brokenness and must find a way to pick himself and his pieces back up. As expected, we get a happy ending and this song really sets the place for what home has become and what the circus has done for everyone.

All in all, this movie presents a beautiful message of defying the odds and graciously accepting that it’s OK to be different and be born outside of what normal may be. I highly, highly recommend the beautiful phenomena that Gracey has created.

Whether you’re into singing, theatricals, or musicals, "The Greatest Showman" deserves to be recognized for the beauty it was made out to be. Barnum lived an extraordinary life, and for that, I think his story is represented well.

To leave you, I’ve left a few of my favorite lines after watching the movie a few handful of times since its release.

“Everyone has an act.”
“You don’t need everyone to love you… just a few good people.”
“When you’re careless with other people, it brings ruin upon yourself.”
“The noblest art is that of making others happy.” – P.T. Barnum