4 Reasons Why Superwoman Is Always My Hero

Lilly Singh is more to me than just another YouTuber.
867

Lilly Singh aka iiSuperwomanii on YouTube is one of my biggest inspirations. She is so much more to me than just another YouTuber that I watch daily, but rather a true role model who embodies everything that I strive to be in the future. She has changed my life in more ways than one and I can only hope that this short list of things that I love about her can exemplify my pure admiration for her and her content.

1. She is true to herself and her roots

In this digital age, the number of creators on YouTube is growing at an exponential rate. To be noticed, so many creators choose to make content that they hope will become viral, rather than content that represents who they are. Thus, many people are after the views, the like to dislike ratio and the accolades that come with being famous. Lilly Singh is NOT one of these people. She originally started making content to make herself happy and to this day stays true to her humble beginnings. She constantly states in her vlogs that she knows that her main channel videos won’t get as many views because of their content. However, she loves what she is producing and putting out there and that is all that matters to her. This is one of the many things I love about her because her dedication and authenticity translates effortlessly in all her videos.

2. She keeps it REAL

Lilly has always strived to be as transparent with her audience as possible. This includes her stating her opinion on many issues that would be considered controversial. As someone who makes a living off people liking their content, most YouTubers shy away from talking about such topics because they are afraid to lose their fan base. However, Lilly Singh is quite the opposite. She holds her opinions firmly and does her best to explain why she feels the way that she feels while also immensely encouraging her audience to discuss the other side of the argument that she might be missing. Further, I love her fearlessness in her content and her ability to vocalize when she is feeling vulnerable in everyday situations. Not many people have the ability to do both of those things with the amount of grace and candor that Lilly has.

3. She is an advocate for mental illness

Lilly has always been an open book when it comes to her depression and anxiety. Mainly through her daily vlogs, she talks about what she is feeling and what she is doing to cope those feelings. She does this in such a raw and genuine way that it makes people at home watching feel like they have found someone who understands how they feel. At times through her vlogs, we see her breakdown due to stress and anxiety and feelings of loneliness which are all things that everyone has experienced. What is even more commendable is that she is a fighter who always picks herself up from any low point and works her way to feeling better again. She is such an inspiration to those who also struggle through similar battles that oftentimes in her vlogs she will encourage the audience to also get back on their feet and keep fighting with her.

4. She is an inspiration to the South Asian community

Lilly Singh is one of the first extremely successful brown female entertainers on YouTube. She is not only a minority within comedy because she is female, but also because she is South Asian. Through her success, she has in part broken the stereotype that South Asian people can only become doctors and engineers and that South Asian women can only be housewives. On a larger level, Lilly being as successful and as big as she is has made an enormous impact on the South Asian youth. Being Indian myself, I have never watched another YouTuber that I can relate more to than Lilly. She represents an extremely large community on a platform where that community is otherwise greatly underrepresented. To have someone who looks like me be as successful as Lilly is on such a global platform like YouTube is an amazing thing and just another reason why I love her.

Overall, I can think of so many more reasons why Lilly is such an amazing person and why I love her so much, but I would rather keep my admiration short and sweet:) SHARE this article if you agree!