Why The "Srat Uniform" Is A New Revolution

The reason college women are choosing comfort over style.
5404

Before coming to college I dressed like a normal human being. I would wear dresses or cute cardigans with capris. I spent time doing my hair and makeup, and I would never go out in public without looking my best. If you had asked me what size t-shirt I wore, I would've said a small. Large t-shirts were sloppy and only meant for sleeping in. When I got to college, I was shocked at what I saw on the bodies of girls all over campus. These girls were wearing oversized t-shirts, Nike shorts, Chacos and sunglasses. Something about their style was oddly appealing to me. They looked confident, yet comfortable. As I transformed into a typical college female, I began to understand the appeal in what has been referred to as the “srat uniform."

1. The Oversized T-Shirt.

The Large or XL t-shirt is perfect in every way. It's modest, it's comfortable, and no one can tell if you ate five pieces of pizza for lunch. 10 years ago, girls would only wear huge t-shirts if they were shack shirts, but now the oversized t-shirt is the only way to go. Plus, they're inexpensive and come in a million colors.

2. Nike Shorts.

Nike Shorts say “I'm comfortable with a splash of athleticism." I could just be going to the library, but who knows, maybe I'm actually going to the gym for a workout. Nike Shorts come in a variety of colors and complement any color of t-shirt. They're multipurpose and affordable. So practical it hurts.

3. Chacos.

Girls get so much crap for wearing Chacos. Though they aren't the most attractive shoes, Chacos are extremely practical. They're perfect when it's raining, and when it's 100 degrees. They keep your feet supported while also allowing them to cool off.

4. White Converse.

White Converse have made a comeback. White converse match anything you could put on your body while also making you look tan. They're perfect with crew socks and they aren't expensive at all. If they get dirty, you can throw them in the washer and it's like they're brand new!

5. Jesus Sandals.

The main reason why college girls love Jesus sandals is because they are only eight dollars. SO CHEAP. And they're comfortable and easy to slip on when you need to walk outside. They're perfect.

6. Leggings.

You know how everyone loves the feeling of not wearing pants? Leggings are a way to get that feeling while you're in a public location. Leggings are the perfect thing to wear when the temperature drops below 60 degrees. And I don't see any guys complaining about them. To people that say leggings aren't pants, go away.

7. The Fleece Vest.

Fleece vests are the perfect accessory in winter. They keep your torso warm and help any boring t-shirt look so much better. Sometimes you don't want your arms to be warm.

9. Nike Free Runs.

These shoes are the most lightweight shoes ever. They come in a variety of bright and fun colors that girls just can't resist.

10. Fanny Packs.

Your mom probably wore one of these at theme parks back in the early days of your life, and you might have cringed. Fanny packs are probably the most practical item for anyone to own. You can fit so much in a fanny pack, and then you don't have to wear shorts with pockets or carry a purse

11. Flannel Shirts.

If you want something lightweight to throw on over your t-shirt, or if you want to look like Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen circa 1993, this is the perfect clothing item for you. Flannels keep you warm, without making you hot. They also give people the idea that you might like spending time outdoors.

The best part of dressing comfortably every day is that it makes dressing up a special occasion. If people can accept you in a t-shirt and Nike shorts, they'll think you look even better with minimal effort wearing real clothes.

I personally think that I am more successful and focused when I am comfortable in my clothing. So to anyone that hates on the “srat uniform," try wearing it for a day and then try to tell me you don't love it.