Why Come to the University of South Alabama

671

Moving six hours away from home is not the easiest, when you land in one of the largest counties in Alabama, not knowing anyone. But with the help of wonderful friends and people, it’s not easy to go back home. South Alabama has become my second home and here are 19 reasons why I chose South, and you should too.

1. Our school name spells USA. That is as American as you can get right there. Even our colors are red, white, and blue.

2. Foosacklys. If you’re not from the Mobile area and you like chicken, your world is about to be changed.

3. Jag everything. JagTrans, JagPals, JagSuccess, JagCard, JagBucks, and even the student body and faculty as a whole is called JagNation. If you don’t know what anything is called, just put the word “Jag” in front of it and your guess is probably right.

4. Downtown. Enough said.

5. Medical School. If you are a biomedical science major like me, South has one of the best ranked Medical Schools in the United States, and one of the best teaching and learning Children’s and Women’s Hospitals in the south.

6. It’s easy to get involved on campus. There are over 200 organizations for you to find somewhere to fit in.

7. Everyone knows everyone. South Alabama is basically its own small town.

8. We love to beat Troy. No matter the sport we are playing Troy in, you can guarantee that over half the student population will be at that event.

9. It is hot in Mobile almost all year round. I remember coming back to Mobile after Christmas break and wearing t-shirts and shorts to class. Don’t get me wrong though, it does get somewhat cold.

10. Rain, rain, rain, and more rain. Been wanting to wear your cute Hunter rain boots more? Mobile is the place to live. It rains in Mobile almost as much as it does in Seattle.

11. There are places to shop and eat everywhere. If you are from a small town like me and the closest Walmart and shopping center is 30 minutes away, no need to worry about having to go "into town" for things anymore.

12. Buffalo Wild Wings is just a few minutes away. It becomes addicting.

13. No community bathrooms and showers. If you decide to live in the dorms, there are no community bathrooms and showers. You only have to share with your roommate!

14. The library. Although the library seems like a weird reason, it is actually a fun place to go and study with your friends.

15. Top grad schools. South Alabama has many great graduate school programs that people dream to get into!

16. Multimillion recreational center. If working out is your thing, then you can do your thing at our awesome multimillion dollar rec center that includes an indoor heated pool, sauna, rock climbing wall, ping pong, and many other fun activities and sports.

17. Walking to class is no biggie. Its only a 7 minute walk to class, unless you're walking to the ILB building. Spare yourself and drive or take the JagTran. No one should ever have to put themselves through that sort of torture.

18. BEACH! This one is a winner for most people. If you are a beach lover and you wish you could go more, South Alabama is only 45 minutes away from the lovely Dauphin Island Beach, and an hour away from Pensacola.Trust me, you will make many beach trips with your friends.

19. We say "Go Jags" to just about anything. You make a good grade on a test, someone will probably say Go Jags. Or you get out of breath from climbing the ILB stairs, Go Jags. It will become a part of your vocabulary, and you will grow to love it and believe it.