Why It's So Important To Be Panhellenic

Why It's So Important To Be Panhellenic

397
Why It's So Important To Be Panhellenic
Movie: legally blonde

With a new school year approaching one of the best times of the year is almost here -- recruitment. With recruitment, we must bring out the best in our chapter and show that to our potential new members. 

From my experience in my sorority, it has always been stressed that being panhellenic is incredibly important. We have certain events and activities we must all do together as part of Greek life, and how awkward it would be if we all stared each other down and didn’t talk to one another.         

Thinking back, there have been events where tension has been high between all chapters. I am not saying that we insult each other, but I can say that all of us have lost touch with who we are by letting ourselves get carried away with our competitiveness. I have noticed this happen during, recruitment, Greek week and, sometimes, even at standard events.           

This article is not being written to point fingers or criticize other chapters. This is being written so we can take a look back and remind ourselves of why we even joined.           

Going through recruitment, I remember visiting each house and putting equal effort and attention to each sorority. I fell in love with girls who belonged to different houses. Reaching the end of my recruitment experience I was confused on how I was supposed to choose one chapter when I had met such incredible women. Even after making my decision, I was touched to see that everyone was happy for me and the choice I had made. Knowing that I was going to be able to keep all the friendships I made through the process meant the world to me.           

My advice to all sorority women and potential new members is to keep the feelings you had during recruitment in your heart. Just because you had to choose one house, do not let go of the girls who made you laugh, smile and feel welcome. 

The negativity created between sororities could be directed into positivity. People have a lot of stereotypes about Greek life. How can work to demolish that if we can not even come together as a whole? False rumors can be discredited if we are not so focused on making sure we are beating out one another. Sometimes we do not even recognize why we do it and other times it is done by not saying anything at all. When we hear someone bad mouthing a sorority, even if it's not our own, it should be our job as a panhellenic sister to stand up for our fellow women. Being a Greek is not about you or me, it is about us.