Why Scream Is Such a Great Horror Movie

Why Scream Is Such a Great Horror Movie

Everyone loves to be scared, so why wouldn't we go and visit a classic?

646
Why Scream Is Such a Great Horror Movie
wikipedia

So we all love horror movies, there is something about things that get our adrenaline racing that make us happy. Some people have rollercoasters, I have slasher movies and ghost tales. My favorite horror movie genre is slasher movies because there is something about a regular person that just snaps that scares me. Ghost stories, exorcists, and things like that are scary, don’t get me wrong. I just prefer slasher movies. In my opinion, horror movies these days aren’t like they used to be. If you can give me an old horror movie collection (which I really already have), I would be set for life. Nightmare on Elm Street, though not technically a slasher, is still one of my favorite. My absolute favorite horror movie is Scream, and I am going to explain why it is still so amazing.

First of all, it is very well written, produced, and directed. Wes Craven, may he rest in peace, is my favorite director. He did such a beautiful job on Scream. The acting was perfect, and you can tell how thoughtful and dedicated he is to his work. It was made in 1996, so it really isn’t too old. The graphics aren’t awful and are actually pretty awesome for the year it was made in. I thought they did the gore artfully, and it wasn’t distasteful. I absolutely cannot stand a movie with the over usage of gore. Though I do appreciate it when it is done right. I mean, you can’t have a realistic horror movie without gore. It doesn’t look fake, which is also a huge turn off for me. I noticed that older movies have that problem, but that isn’t the case.

The characters are just so likable. I mean, who isn’t rooting for Sidney Prescott? Even Billy and Stu were likable and, spoiler alert, they were the killers. At the end when they started stabbing each other, man, I was super freaked out. What kind of person would do that? It just goes to show you that even your friends could be killers. Though I did find it quite funny when Stu was freaking out after being stabbed. Tatum was so loveable, and it made me super sad when she got killed. Even Gale Weathers and Dewey Riley were great characters. I loved how strong and ambitious Gale was. Dewey was just a great cop, and very supportive of Sidney. Randy is definitely the most relatable to me since he adores horror movies. Sidney was an awesome protagonist, and after four movies she can kick some serious Ghostface butt. Also, they did a pretty good job of keeping you on your toes until they finally revealed the killer.

It is a classic, and will always hold a golden place on my movie shelf. They added comedy, romance, and suspense. What more from a movie could you want?! The opening scene is a classic, one that many people try and outdo. However, none will ever hold a flame to it. The voice and mask are classics on their own, and most people could point them out from a mile away. Heck, they even have a TV show called Scream. It has nothing to do with the movies, but Wes Craven did direct them, and they are mirrored to them.

Overall, I absolutely love this movie. And if you haven’t seen it, I highly suggest you go watch it. It is a horror movie that brings me great joy and I could probably watch it over and over.