Why I Rock My Natural Locks

Why I Rock My Natural Locks

The people naturally just wanna know.

28
Why I Rock My Natural Locks
www.hypehair.com

Okay, so I don't know why, but it seems like more often lately people ask me: "why don't you get a relaxer?"

Or, more often, “why are you natural?”

So, I naturally (haha puns) decided the best way to answer that question to the best of my ability was *cue drumroll*

An article.

I know, I know how punny of me? 😊😊

Disclaimer: This is not to trash the relaxed hairstyle. This is all opinion and experience-based. Don't hate the messenger bird. Or hate the Message. Just share it and see how many people side with the messenger bird. Or, I guess, how many people side with you. There are a lot of bad selfies ya'll, I apologize. Your girl had to glo up from something.

First, I'm going to put the more widely known benefits and then I'm going to put why I personally do it.

Before all of that, however, let me explain the difference between relaxed and natural hair. So, a relaxer usually comes in a box like

The dictionary definition of relaxer:

“A relaxer is a type of lotion or cream generally used by people with tight curls or very curly hair which makes hair easier to straighten by chemically "relaxing" the natural curls. The active agent is usually a strong alkali, although some formulations are based on ammonium thioglycolate instead.”

Mhmm yummy. Nah, just that definition sounds scary.

But to put it in layman's terms you pretty much just put it on your hair and it takes all your beautiful kinky curls out.

Big Pro for Relaxer:

If you are a tender headed little child your mama might put a relaxer in to make it easier for her and you. So everyone's happy.

The meaning of the natural hair movement is:

"The natural hair movement is a movement which encourages women of African descent to keep their natural afro-textured hair."

Now, we're all educated.

1. Natural Hair Can Be Cared For Without Dangerous Chemicals.

This is not saying that I never use chemicals in my locks. I use chemicals but not ammonium thioglycolate. None of the chemicals I use are liable to give me any degree burns. Yes I do use chemicals, but it's pretty much the run of the mill shampoo, conditioner and gel, most of the time.

2. You don't have to run and hide from the rain.

I know this is sorta silly, but when my wig is afrolicious I don't have to worry about rain or humidity! Now, when it's flat ironed (unless it's wash day or I really don't give a damn), I will run like all the other girls.

3. Not going to a hair salon

When I need a new doo, I usually put on my favorite playlist, get in a comfy chair and start styling. It's not expensive as some might think it'd be.

4. It’s going against the grain

Being natural, while now a trend, was not at all normal at one time. Most of my family wear their hair relaxed. When I first went natural, my father was most definitely not a fan. Even though I can understand, because in the beginning my knowledge of hair product and natural products was bleak and weak. As well as my selfie faces and skills. Lets just pause and pray for that girl.

So, for the first several years I just wore it in protective styles. Pretty much just just micro braids, box braids, alotta braids.

When it was out, I went to get it hot-combed or had it straightened. For several years, I didn’t even see my hair texture after the before mentioned fiasco I had going on

Ya'll, those pictures are the same day. Lighting, people, lighting.

Then in 9th grade I started playing with my hair texture. Experimenting with what makes me hair grow, what looks nice on me as a hairstyle, and I’ve gotten pretty good at being a natural girl.

Now, as promised, storytime.

My natural hair journey started in the sixth grade. I had a perm and didn't know how to take care of it so my hair starting breaking off. Sooner or later, I got micros but didn't know how to take care of those either so they got left in for 6 months without them being redone or touched up. So, my hair started to dread up.

Well, when I went back to the salon my stylist had to cut out some from the middle of my hair because after she did a texturizer, she still couldn't get some of it out. Still to this day, the middle of my hair is the shortest region. So, we stopped the perms and everything for a minute.

It took a good 2 years for my hair to become healthy enough to even think of growing. But it's been 6 years of me being natural, so my hair is restored back to its original beautiful glorious state and I can say it was the right decision for me.

So, to answer that question: it just works for me. I like it. I have the time for it. I'm learning the patience for it. It works for me. Now, not to say it's the way to go for everyone. It's not. In fact, my sister has a perm. If you do, however, want to go natural, talk to a hair care profession and they will guide you in the right direction.

This is Lydia Marie Signing off reminding you,
Be You