Why Regular Show Is The Perfect Show For Young Adults

Why the show still perfectly exemplifies the struggles of being a Young Adult

20

Regular Show is the Perfect Show for Young Adults

Regular Show was a cartoon created by J.G Quintel that premiered on Cartoon Network in 2009, finally ending in 2017. It details the day-to-day lives of a blue jay named Mordecai and a raccoon named Rigby. Straight out of high school, they get jobs in a local park and go on crazy adventures as a result.

Regular depicts the struggles many young adults today face. First and foremost, a lot of young adults find themselves aimless following their graduation from high school and especially college. There is extreme pressure to find a job and be self-sustaining. Oftentimes, that first job will be one that does not pay well and involves menial labor. This is exemplified by how our two title characters, Mordecai and Rigby had to resort do a minimum wage job at the park since they just got out of high school. It is mentioned in the show that one of the major contributing factors towards accepting this job was the guarantee of free food and lodging.

Another major aspect of the show that many young adults go through is the struggle and desire to find a meaningful romantic relationship. By the time people reach their twenties, and especially going into their late twenties, there is this expectation and pressure to not be single, that you have to be in a relationship. This is seen in various characters in the show. Most prominently is the character of Mordecai. Through the run of the show, we see Mordecai go through various crushes and relationships, many of which SPOILER.. end up bursting in flames. Mordecai's journey helps to exemplify just how far this pressure to not be single can push an individual, even to the point of sacrificing one's self-respect and overthinking.

While Mordecai's relationships show what a toxic relationship and love can feel like, we can see what a healthy romantic relationship can look like through characters like Rigby, High Five Ghost, and even that of the usually shirtless, Muscle Man. Their relationships, while also weird and crazy in many ways, all show commonality in depicting what a relationship rooted around self-respect and genuine love can look like.

Regular Show is definitely a show that many young adults can relate to and should definitely watch. Due to the depiction of many struggles young adults face, it can act as a foil and an area of comfort for those facing those same issues currently.