Why Rare Beauty Is More Than Makeup

Why Rare Beauty Is More Than Makeup

“Being rare is about being comfortable with yourself. I’ve stopped trying to be perfect. I just want to be me.” — Selena Gomez

1238
Why Rare Beauty Is More Than Makeup

Some brands offer support, while others are established with a distinct philanthropic purpose at their heart. The latter category is rare, and even scarcer are those led by a worldwide icon. However, when Selena Gomez launched Rare Beauty, her vision went beyond delivering luxurious lip colors and soft blushes to the world.

The brand, which launched in September 2020, has millions of social media followers and counting, which includes a variety of products that continues to grow. With makeup products $30 and under, Rare Beauty is affordable and approachable for a wide range of individuals.

Mental well-being has consistently been a subject deeply important to Selena. That’s why in addition to Rare Beauty, she initiated The Rare Impact Fund, aiming to enhance mental health support. The objective was to utilize beauty to broaden the reach of mental health resources, foster self-acceptance and self-love, and encourage open conversations among global youth.

Having courageously shared her own mental health journey some years ago, Gomez stands at the forefront of these discussions, blending determination with empathy. Alongside financial support, the Rare Impact Fund is dedicated to organizing community events that facilitate sincere dialogues.

In its first year, the Rare Impact Fund distributed grants totaling $1.2 million to eight organizations focused on mental health and education. Recipients encompassed entities such as the Yale Center for Emotional Intelligence and Didi Hirsch Mental Health Services, which provide critical initiatives like suicide prevention training and mentorship programs.

Rare Beauty and its unwavering commitment to social change has garnered significant recognition. They received the Partnerships of the Year accolade from Mental Health First Aid for their dedication to employee training, spreading awareness via educational initiatives, and becoming the inaugural beauty brand to receive accolades from the organization. By establishing the Mental Health Council and forging strong relationships with non-profits, the brand evolved into a dependable source of mental health assistance.

Rare Beauty has an ongoing mission to help everyone celebrate their individuality by redefining what beautiful means. They advocate for self-acceptance and equip individuals with the resources to combat feelings of isolation in the world. Rare Beauty establishes a secure and inclusive environment within the realm of beauty, extending beyond it as well, to foster mental well-being regardless of age, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, cultural heritage, physical or mental capabilities, and outlook.

Rare Beauty is dismantling unattainable ideals of flawlessness. The cosmetics line is designed to be comfortable, embracing your distinctiveness rather than concealing it — because Rare Beauty isn’t about becoming someone else — it's about embracing your authentic self.