Why Punk Attracted Kids From The Suburbs

Music For The People

71
Payton Stark

When you think of punk music, you don't think of square kids from the heart of the suburbs, with their pants pleated and their hair slicked to the side. In fact, many of the punks started off that way, and the suburbs latched onto punk and its ideologies because, those in the suburbs were sick of the plastic life that society placed upon them.

Some of the attraction that punk brought to those in the suburbs was that punks were doing what everyone wanted to do. Those associated with punk were being themselves. Not everyone wanted to be like everyone else, they longed for individuality and punk offered that to them. Also, not everyone could amount to the "perfect" human being. So a scene that accepted "mederocacy" or more realistically normalcy and reality was at the top of the list.

Punk music was often angry. But instead of the negative view often associated with punk, in reality, they were only being honest. Not everyone could be what society wanted them to be, and not everyone cared about what society labeled as important. So, punk became as outrageous as possible. At times even becoming a parody including anti-fashion, and clothes and hair that simply poked fun at culture. It is very freeing, once you begin to quit the game that culture makes you play.

Bands offered an alternative path for those who didn't want that 9-5 life. People wanted to get their messages and music out, but didn't want to have to go through labels. So, they latched onto punk and the "do it yourself" attitude that came along with it. You didn't have to play perfectly or sing perfectly to get your voice out there and express yourself. Punk music became the voice of the people.

Lastly punk music sang about everything and anything. It was a simple and honest interpretation of modern life. No one was trying to be smart, they just simply called it as they saw it. Music was made for the people, not the pay check at the end of each tour.