Why "Pokémon Go" Is Not A Waste

Why "Pokémon Go" Is Not A Waste

We live in a Pokémon World.

38
Why "Pokémon Go" Is Not A Waste
i.ytimg.com

Have you lived in a Pokémon World? No? Well, now you do. A little app known as Pokémon Go, release on July 6, 2016, immediately became one of the highest downloaded apps. Millions of people are in love with the game and cannot get enough of it. There are a few haters and critics, though, who believe that the app is a "waste of time and energy." To those individuals, I give the following counterarguments! For all my fellow Pokémon Trainers, here is a list of reasons why Pokémon Go is not a waste.

1) Exercise

Usually when we think of video games, we think of sitting in place for hours on end and smashing away at a controller. Not so for Pokémon Go! This game has ingeniously melded the love for Pokémon and gaming with the importance of daily exercise. Ever since its release, you constantly spot people on the hunt - walkers, joggers, bikers. We humans are stubborn creatures and we thrive off incentives. Pokémon Go cracked the code when it comes to finding out what it takes to make the world population slip on their walking shoes to go for a trek.

2) Making friends

Besides school, work and clubs, it's tricky to meet new people and find something to bond over. Pokémon Go gives complete strangers an excuse to stop and say hi while they pass each other along the street! "Hey, by the way, there's a Squirtle back at the coffee shop!"

3) Relive the joy you experienced as a child.

The people of my generation thrived on Pokémon in our younger years. With the stress of school, jobs and the looming reality of the "real world," Pokémon Go has been a much needed outlet to reminisce about the good ol' days.

4) Educational

This is honestly one of the best defenses for Pokémon Go. The Poke Stops, which are a necessary aspect of the game include popular businesses, areas of local culture and historical landmarks. What better, easier, more fun way is there to learn about the place you live in - or other cities you visit along the way?!

5) Free

Who hates spending money? Everyone. Who loves free things? Everyone. So then who will love Pokémon Go? Everyone.

6) Family bonding

Pokémon Go is geared towards people of all age groups - from 8 years old to 80 (and beyond, to be honest). Siblings play it together; parents and children play it together; even grandparents and grandchildren play Pokémon Go together! Just this week I was helping my father with his Pokéball-throwing skills. The game is bringing families together...one Pokémon at a time.

7) Pass on the knowledge

As a Pokémon Trainer, it is your duty to pass on your knowledge to new recruits. That way, you teach everyone you know, everything they know about the game. Go from being a Pokémon Trainer, to a Pokémon Master.

8) An opportunity

With the release of the game, many businesses and communities have taken advantage of the opportunity the game gives for them to reach a larger audience. This is not only good for businesses and organizations, but players themselves! Who wouldn't appreciate 10 percent off their order at a restaurant?

9) It's all in good fun.

If you are having a good time playing Pokémon Go, just remember - being happy is not a waste! Your happiness is important, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! Happy hunting!