Why It's Okay To Be Selfish In College

Why It's Okay To Be Selfish In College

Taking some time for yourself at your university.

323
Why It's Okay To Be Selfish In College

The term selfish is associated with a widely recognized negative connotation. In general terms, to be selfish means to lack consideration for others or to be concerned with one’s own personal profit or pleasure. At a young age, our parents and schoolteachers taught us that being selfish is bad and we would get punished if we portrayed selfish qualities. But now that we are in college — a whole new realm and chapter of our lives — the tables have turned drastically.  

College is a time where we have mixed and confusing emotions. It’s a time of both change and, sometimes, struggle. Most importantly, it’s a time where we find ourselves on an academic, professional and personal level. These next four years in college are the years where it is actually okay for us to be selfish. Not only is being selfish acceptable, but it is also necessary in order to truly discover our purpose in life.

1. You only need to focus on yourself.

You don’t have anyone to take care of or look after at this point in your life except for yourself. It’s important to take advantage of this by solely focusing on your interests, intentions and opportunities in your life. Being selfish means that you only need to follow your instincts without letting others affect your decisions. 

2. It will make you happier. 

Relationships with friends or a significant other can be mentally taxing and burdening at times. Being selfish means it’s okay, and sometimes necessary, to let go of people who aren’t meant to be in your life or cause you discontent. Although it’s extremely difficult to cut people from your life, it’s also necessary in order to stay happy.

3. It will keep you motivated & driven.

By keeping a selfish mindset, you can devote yourself to not only establishing long and short-term goals, but also striving to complete those goals. This is the time to figure out the path in which you want to follow in your life. It’s important to put your own goals above anything else in order to achieve a fulfilled and exciting future.

4. It will spark new interests.

When you focus on yourself, you will discover things you’re interested in without even knowing it. It’s necessary to try out new things you’ve always been interested in or unearth new hobbies; you will not only become more cultured and in-depth, but you will also appeal to a broader and eclectic group of individuals. Having unique interests will make your life more fulfilling—and not to mention more exciting—and possibly spark a career path.

5. It will define your new life.

College is a time of dramatic change. Most of us are forced out of our comfort zone and are left to make new friends in a new town. This change and new life, however, can’t be fully understood unless you are focusing on yourself at the maximum level. By being selfish, you can take a risk and put yourself out there. That in itself will set up your new life to be a thrilling and intriguing experience. 

College is a time in our lives where it’s perfectly acceptable to be selfish. By focusing on bettering ourselves and fostering new interests and goals, we will inadvertently maintain a more fulfilled and happier life. Remember, you don’t have to listen to anyone else’s opinions or thoughts; follow your instincts and stay true to yourself.