Why Men Can Love 'Pretty Little Liars,' Too

Men shouldn't keep a secret that they watch this show.

801
Twitter

If you ask a majority of men in this country, or even women, to give a description of what man should do or be, they would probably say: "men are supposed to be strong, athletic, be able to get his hands dirty, work on cars, watch sports, lift weights and do dude things. But what will never come up in a man's description is watch chick flicks or chick tv shows for that matter.

When I tell people I watch "Pretty Little Liars," which is now ended and will forever be remembered as great, they get taken aback by it. It appalls them that a man of my stature would watch a teen show that is tailored/marketed towards teenage girls and some older women. They would say, "you must be gay." And then I would say no I am not gay. I did not know sexual orientation could influence the shows you watch. But nonetheless, we have a weak-minded that is still gender stereotyping.

For me "Pretty Little Liars" is very suspenseful and exciting. It keeps me reeled in for so long, even though it lasted longer than it should have. 7 seasons to be exact. For the men and some women that did not watch it, it is about five girls(Aria, Spencer, Allison, Emily, and Hanna) who spent the night in a family barn. One girl disappeared during the night, and then the remaining four girls were on a collision course of a never-ending lying game, with a mysterious character called "A."

There were many characters that disguised themselves as "A." Shoutout to Marlene King for changing up the people who portrayed "A" throughout the years. As I've stated before, it is very suspenseful and has many quirks and intricacies that made it better and better. The storytelling and anecdotes that was evident on screen made it enjoyable and inspiring at the same time.

There were moments where it wasn't all about finding out who killed Maya, or who buried Mrs. Dilaurentis in the backyard, even though most of us men love violence. There were some people I would not mind not seeing anymore. Some of the characters could not be trusted. But they made viewers emit emotion every time we saw them.

There were moments where they were all involved romantically.

Some got married, some went through breakups and some even had kids...surrogates to be exact. But nonetheless, it made it real and riveting to watch. These girls showed me what it was like to have friends that will be with you through thick and thin, why your friends will want to rip your throats out at times, and how they will accept you no matter what. But then again, it was great acting.

Through the show I find myself reflecting on what I want my life to be like and who I want to be in it. They teach life lessons that most of us men need to work on. It teaches how to build camaraderie amongst your best friends, how to talk about things in a civil manner, how to be strategic when you need to find out information and how to cover your tracks when police. I am not saying be deceptive, but there are times when you need to keep your nose clean(pun intended.)

But I would just want all guys to know that it is okay to watch "Pretty Little Liars, Gilmore Girls," or any other tv show geared towards women. There are life lessons that men should and would want to know. We can learn how to become better and valuable men that women would love to see. In turn that can get needs met guys.

We should not be held down by what society tells us what we should do as men. We do not have to uphold gender bias. We can eliminate gender bias, by watching these shows. If you want to go see a chick flick, that is perfectly fine. Honestly in my eyes you will be considered more manly by doing this.

It involves swallowing your pride and having courage to do something extraordinary. Do what makes you happy and not what society wants you to do. If you do what society asks you to do, then you will be miserable not being yourself; and no one wants that. Be the first one to make a move and the rest will follow. All you have to do is jump over that gender-bias barrier; and I promise you, you will be glad that you did.