Why Meeting Your Hero Can Be A Great Thing

Some say never meet your hero...well I did.

272
Laura Dengrove

My dreams came true at New York Comic Con and I couldn't be happier and more grateful.

Anyone that knows me knows that I have been a writer since my middle school years. I've had a passion for writing, which in turn allowed me to follow my dreams of being a film critic and interviewer. For this dream, I have many I can thank. My grandfather, my parents, my teachers, my mentors, and so on but I've always looked up to a certain director and writer who really inspired me to follow my dreams and become the creator that I am today.

Kevin Smith is a living New Jersey legend, someone who truly followed his own dream and inspired me to do the same. His films range from the New Jersey classic Clerks to the wacky cult film that stars a certain man turning into a walrus, #WalrusYes. Smith always talks about making a difference in people's lives, well he made a difference in mine.

I've been watching his films since I was a wee lassie, which is funny in itself since his films are made for a more mature audience than a young five-year-old girl, but watching those films did more for me than some may know. I was inspired immediately, watching a writer and director make films that truly showed his passion and desire for the world of cinema. Watching this as a young girl not only showed me that with hard work and dedication, you could achieve your dreams, but also you could potentially inspire many to do the same. I know it sounds cheesy, and a tad bit cliche, but because of Smith I not only knew following my dreams was possible, but that at the end of the day I could actually do it!

His films show passion, love for film, and most importantly show the genuine happiness and love he has for being able to create and share his creations with the world. Smith makes films that he always wanted to watch, and this alone sets him apart from all the generic films that have been spewed out from the corporate machine (my Hippie side is showing, I know). This alone inspires me, since many lack this genuine form of joy and glee he gets from filmmaking, and all I can say is thank you. Thank you, Kevin Smith, for being you and for inspiring people like me, also from a small town in Jersey, to go out and create as well.

Many have always told me meeting your hero isn't the best thing. They may not live up to your expectations, they may be rude, they may be blah blah blah... but that wasn't true in my case.

Smith truly made me feel welcomed, even as I shook with nerves and stuttered to say what I've always wanted to tell him...which was a simple thank you.

So to all those naysayers saying, "don't meet your hero," I say screw them! Meeting my hero changed me for the better, because not only did I get to meet someone that had such a profound influence in my life, but I got to say something I'm not sure he hears frequently enough from people...which is thank you.