Why I Love Star Wars

Why I Love Star Wars

Through the last 40 years, the Star Wars Franchise has never left its fans disappointed.

64
Why I Love Star Wars
google images

It is no secret that the Star Wars industry has been making a name for themselves since the late 70's. With the much anticipated Star Wars movie, "Rogue One" coming out this weekend, it is safe to say that the famous series has an entire new generation to impress. Now, since I am only 19 this unbelievable story line wasn't introduced to me until they began making the first three episodes, or the origin stories. For those of you who are unfamiliar to the series let me explain. In the late 70's and early 80's, George Lucas, founder of Lusasfilm Ltd. productions, introduced Episode IV to the public. Not knowing how people would react he filmed Episodes IV, V, VI first. It wasn't until the late 90's that the origin stories began. Here are some of the reasons why I love and admire the Star Wars industry and my reaction to each movie.

1) Star Wars Episode IV The New Hope

Released in 1977, this was the first in the Star Wars series to be published. Now, if you are as young as me then you really didn't see this until the early 2000's. So don't be turned off when you see the cheesy special effects, it was made in the 70's. When we were first introduced to the young Luke Skywalker and the mysterious Ben, all I could keep thinking was this character is creepy as hell. He shows up out of nowhere knowing everything there is to know about the young boy. However, when the young a beautiful Princess is introduced you initially think, "oh, a romance!" but that idea was underdeveloped. And fair warning spoiler alert! When Ben, who was actually Obi-Wan Kenobi surviving Jedi, was killed the entire dynamic of the "dark side" was set. However, whenever this fantastical movie is on television I have to watch it! This movie had it all, romance, mystery, action, drama and, of course, tragedy.

2) Star Wars Episode V The Empire Strikes Back

Oh, this movie! What can I say? Released in 1980, the much-anticipated sequel "The Empire Strikes Back" brought in over $530 million in revenue. The original gang, minus Ben, came back to the big screen. This action packed movie was filled with the romance we all were anticipating, action battles between the empire and the rebel forces, and an ending that had us so shocked we couldn't wait for the next film. Of course, fair warning, spoiler! The most iconic scene between Darth Vader and Luke had us weeping! And when Han Solo, Princess Leia's love interest, gets carted off encased in carbonite had us screaming for answers. This movie never left a stone unturned and the dynamic between the main characters emphasized the movie.

3) Star Wars Episode VI Return of the Jedi

Aww, the epic conclusion to the original movie trilogies, filled with answers, tragedies, and cute teddy bear characters. This epic battle had us rooting for the rebels and had our hearts melting when the malicious Vader turned a new corner and saved his son from Palpatine, better known as Darth Sidious. Released in 1983, the final chapter in the series or so we thought, finished with dignity and left all viewers happy. Due to the success of the first three movies, producers decided to make the origin stories 16 years later.

4) Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace

The origin story begins! Introducing the young Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi, the story of how a young and once innocent boy met the infamous Jedi and his Master and how their story began. Released in 1999, this movie hit theaters for an entirely new generation of fans. After watching the other movies, learning the origin of the soon-to-be Darth Vader was truly incredible. This story had me a Vader sympathizer to the core.

5) Star Wars Episode II Attack of the Clones

Ten years after episode I, the story picks back up with a now grown 20-year-old Jedi apprentice and his love interest, Padmé Amidala, where they battle corrupted Jedis, a return to his home planet, and an emotional reunion with his mother. Through the course of the film, the dark side is prevalent in young Skywalker and his fear of losing his love is adamant. This film was a close stepping stone to where the original movie storylines begin.

6) Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith

The epic conclusion of the origin stories shows all the fans the incredibly sad and horrific chain of events that lead to the malicious man we were all introduced to in New Hope. However, with the origin stories I now have a deep understanding of how it all went wrong. The tragic loss of Anakin's beloved wife and the "loss" of his unborn children, who didn't die but were just hidden, and the fear of losing them ultimately turned Skywalker into Darth Vader. His loss made me understand the poor guy and how he could be so easily manipulated by Palpatine.

7) Star Wars Episode VII The Force Awakens

The legendary continuation of the Star Wars saga reached a revenue in the billions last December 2015. Framed 30 years after Return of the Jedi, we are introduced to a few new characters, Finn, Rey, BB 8, and the villain Kylo Ren. And SPOILERS!! The news about Kylo Ren's identity had me shaking in my boots! At first, I was excited that the story line fell into the same dysfunctional family, however, I was left wondering who are these new characters? Who are Rey's parents? Where is her family? And the same with Finn. I was slightly disappointed that the story line followed similar to the others, where a Skywalker turns bad and there is a death of a beloved character. But all in all, it was a great way to reach new viewers and start a new section of this beloved franchise.

8) Star Wars Rogue One

Set just before The New Hope, "Rogue One" follows the events of the rebels who plan to steal the plans of the death star. This epic stand alone movie had me so intrigued through the entire film. Now I won't post any spoilers because everyone hates that, but let me just say this film is a must see if you are a fan of the Star Wars Franchise.

So go out with the family and enjoy this wonderful and epic movie!