Why I Love/Hate Alabama

Why I Love/Hate Alabama

Everything has its ups and downs in this Southern state.

30
Why I Love/Hate Alabama
Wikipedia.org

After just relocating to Southern Alabama, I've came to the conclusion that this region differs greatly from my west coast locale. Heres a list of things that have created my love-hate relationship for Bama.

1. It’s never cold

Back in California, the sea breeze can make the temperature pretty chilly. Its great not having to worry about being freezing when walking around campus. When going out at night in California you have to bring a jacket or cardigan with you to stay warm to avoid the frigid 60-degree temperature.

2. It’s too hot

It is never cool! Need to walk across campus at noon? Pack for a trip to the Sahara desert, camel and all. It’s a full-fledged hike to get there, to the glorious air conditioned building.

3. People

Pretty much everyone in Alabama maintains the standards of southern charm while having gracious conversation, holding doors open, and always being considerate. Everyone is very welcoming and always have a smile on their face.

4. Humidity

The moisture in the air isn’t anything to write home about. It’s simply a pain as it frizzes your hair, fogs your glasses, and crinkles your paper. That demon is responsible for making an 83-degree day feel at least 95 as you’re sweating your way around campus.

5. Food

Southern food is always good food! From fried delights to a variety of seafood, the South has yet to be beat in making Homestyle food. Upon driving on the main road, every corner is adorned with a fried chicken establishment, each looking equally tempting as my mom proclaims, “We should get a salad tonight,” and causing my heart to break into pieces.

6. Rain

I was aware that Mobile is one of the rainiest cities in the US, but I didn’t really believe it until we got our first rain shower yesterday. This storm came out of nowhere and was unexpected for a sunny afternoon. Although it only lasted for about twenty minutes, it just so happened to be more rain than I’ve seen in the past six months in San Diego.

7. The Town

Mobile is a beautiful city with a variety of tourist attractions, shopping malls, and restaurants, but thankfully isn’t as big as San Diego. Its great being in a town that’s big enough to always have something to do, yet not be overly congested.

I'm so excited to attend college in Mobile, and I can't wait to enjoy what this city has to offer. Its weather may be a bit spotty, but that isn't much of a price to pay to live in such a great place!