Why I Love Doing Musicals

Why I Love Doing Musicals

If only I can click my heels and be somewhere ...

25
Why I Love Doing Musicals
msecnd.net

Admit it, everyone in their lives has wanted to transform into a completely different person. Whether it be a superhero or just someone with a completely opposite personality than you.I couldn’t count on my fingers the amount of times I wanted to change into Dorothy after she got the Ruby Slippers so I could ‘click’ ‘click’ ‘click’ my way home from that early morning AP test. Or the amount of times I wished I was Sarah Brown so Sky Masterson could sweep me off my feet and tell me that He’s never been in love before, but I was his forevermore. If you don’t know these references, please keep up. Cosplay of super heroes was never my thing, but I found with doing musicals and plays, I was always able to turn into any character I wanted and I was still able to exudes confidence. This is why I loved it. Whenever I felt down or out, I liked to connect to the character I had seen or played that were what I wanted to be. Other reasons go as follows:

The makeup was amazing.Okay, for you guys this might not be fun. Yes, men do wear makeup onstage and yes it does suck as much as you think it does. But, plays are the one and only time where you can make yourself look as extravagant as you usually look and it will most likely look normal. As a girl who has always been obsessed with makeup and making myself look as nice as possible, this was always a plus. Excessive makeup is needed in order to prevent even the darkest person from being washed out under those lights. Stage lighting is a thing people! It is real and it is out to bleach and blind us all! Stage lighting is a heaven and a hell, but to the people in the audience, you will look like you are just looking the part. You may feel a little stupid, but you’ll look pretty bad ass. Plus, for any of you girls looking to improve your makeup skills, doing plays and musicals, even doing dance competitions will help you with your skills. No one knows makeup better than play kids. I’ve had plenty of foundation and concealer talks. What eye shadow looks better in what lighting. I’ve even finessed the art of fake lashes. I know it may sound elementary that I didn’t already know these things, but I’m just trying to prove a point here.

Those who love attention, plays are literally the perfect place to show out.Even as someone who hated attention with a passion, the amount of adrenaline that ran through your veins while I performed matched no other. Even with anxiety and stage fright like I have, I was still able to perform as a background and lead. I can’t admit that I am still use to it, but I will never deny how amazing it feels. Doing a play or musical allows anyone to have a chance to steal the spotlight. Whether a lead or ensemble. I have seen in been in plenty of plays where a person in the background has completely taken the attention from the scene that was playing out. If you get it? Flaunt it. You didn’t do your makeup big for nothing doll. I would never suggest anyone to step out of their comfort zone if they weren’t ready, but if you are willing to fight your fears and work hard, I promise it’s worth it. Annie didn’t find a family by giving up did she? No! She found love with Daddy Warbucks and was forever happy that she never gave up the search for her family. The amount of achievement felt after crushing the part you just played will make you feel immensely proud of yourself.

One of my favorite parts of doing a play is the family atmosphere.This is the main reason I love doing plays. Spending so much time with your cast makes you realize how much of a family you have grown. These people are literally there for everything. They are there for when you finally hit that high note you have been struggling with forever, or when you continually mess up that paragraph you were supposed to memorize weeks ago. Whether they are being supportive or completely roasting you along with your directors, they are always there in the end. My play family was always there when I needed them. Especially in such stressful times, no one is better to talk to than your play family. At the end of a play season, count how many times you’ve cried or have talked to someone who was going through a hard time and tell me you don’t have a special connection with your cast. I dare you.

Look at me! I was even on the 6 o'clock news for doing plays!

All in all, doing plays has helped me a lot. I have been doing plays since seventh grade and they have helped me through some challenging times in my life. Nothing was better and more peaceful than going to play practice after a long day. I hadn’t actually performed on stage until my Freshman year of high school, but before that I performed in the band. I even took a pause from performing and was a stage manager for two years. That’s where most of the stress came, but my friends and cast mates were always there to help dispel it. I went back to performing my last year and I can say that it was the best decision of my life. Maybe singing and dancing for people's entertainment isn’t meant for everyone, but as someone who found happiness in something as small as dressing up as someone else and saying a few lines, I’d like to suggest something to everyone. Step outside your comfort zone and try something new. Whether it be as different as transforming character or usual as watching something you’ve never seen before, who knows? You might like it as much as I like plays.