Why I Love Concerts

Why I Love Concerts

Who doesn't like live music?

32
Why I Love Concerts
Concert Fix

I went to my first concert at the age of 5. It was in Boston. My parents had put together a huge group of their friends and we all drove down to Boston. Our seats were awful(they were literal nosebleed seats) and I don't remember a damn thing about(except getting lost). It was to the Backstreet Boys. Ever since I have had a desire to go to every concert I could(even if it often meant begging someone to drive me to Boston because I can assure you I cannot drive in a big city). My concert days started picking up in the beginning of high school and by college, I was going to three or four shows a year and I loved it. But why do I love concerts?

1. The Atmosphere

Most of you probably think I'm crazy. Who could possibly love the sweat-filled air, the bodies slamming into you, people soaring above you and kicking you in the face? The answer is me. I love it. I love lifting my face up above the crowd and getting hit with a rush of cool air. I love shoving people back when they try to get in front of me. I love locking arms with my friends or fiance to block people from getting through.

2. The People

I am not talking about that couple that makes out in front of you the entire time. I am not talking about the people who sweat beyond belief. I am not talking about the annoying fangirls. I am talking about the people you accidentally find in the crowd. The people that you talk to for the entire show. The people who you exchange numbers with in hopes of making plans to meet up at another show. The people who you can talk to about your favorite band and they really listen to you. I met these people a few years back at a concert where my favorite band was opening. We bonded over music and now we make plans to see each other as much as possible when I am down in Boston for a concert. We tell each other stories. We laugh at inside jokes ("new Cody"!!!!). And we miss each other when concerts just don't line up for one of us.

3. Discovering New Bands

This is a common occurrence for me. The first time I saw my favorite band play live they were an opening act. I discovered two bands that I had never heard play before that day and I still listen to their music. This happened again(at the same venue and everything) a year later when my favorite band was the header and two smaller bands opened for them.

4. Finding Hidden Gems

Sometimes bands play at huge arenas and the show is big and loud and impersonal. Sometimes bands play at small clubs or bars where there are no more than 100 people crammed into the small room. The band members come off the stage and everyone gets a chance to interact. The acoustics sound amazing and the music is exhilarating. These are the venues I look forward to going to. These are the venues I know I can be up close and personal with the musicians. A couple of my favorite venues include Brighton Music Hall in Boston, Massachusetts and Aura in Portland, Maine.

5. Meeting The Musicians

I will admit this is getting harder and harder nowadays, but sometimes I get really lucky. In smaller venues, sometimes band members will come out into the crowd after performing while the next band sets up. This is how I've met the lead singer of my favorite band(several times). I will admit I have a deep, unfaltering crush on Cody Carson and nearly had a heart attack the several times I've met him. I've also been fortunate enough to meet all the other members of Set It Off as well as Derek DiScanio from State Champs and Patty Walters from As It Is.