Reasons Why I Love Cape Cod

Reasons Why I Love Cape Cod

The greatest place on Earth
215

Hyannis Harbor on Nantucket Sound

Growing up, many of my classmates yearned to get out of Cape Cod. Whether they were bored or just sick of the cold winters, they never wanted to live the rest of their lives there. And yet, when many of these students left for college, they immediately looked forward to going back. Cape Cod has that kind of charm. From the summer night bonfires to hours lying at the beach, the Cape is a paradise. It is a place where I grew up my whole life and one I would never want to leave for good as life goes on. Here's why.

The location

Barnstable

I'm not a city guy at all and I don't know what I'd do if I was miles and miles away from the coast. Besides I like seeing the stars at night without the intense light pollution. I can see the appeal in the "big city lights," but that's not my scene. I'm all for the beach. The landscape and sights of Cape Cod is truly something to fall in love with. The small cozy summer homes, the historic locations, the marshes and beaches that stretch for miles. Let's not forget that you can see the entire "arm" of the Cape light up on the Fourth of July, from Sandwich all the way to Provincetown. I guess you could say that's my idea of "big city lights." And we have cranberry bogs, which really excites tourists for some reason.

The serenity

Bass Hole, Yarmouth

Cape Cod is very peaceful and calm, even with the tourists bustling through. It's a great place to go for a nice walk through the quiet little towns or long sandy roads. The people are very kind and it's just an overall family-friendly area. Plus you can fall asleep on the beach listening to the sound of the waves and wind chimes blowing in the breeze.

The outdoor life

Fort Hill, Eastham

I like to call myself an outdoorsman. I don't think there was a day when I was inside while I was spending summers on the Cape. Heck even some of my jobs were spent outside. Regardless, I would always be out adventuring with friends, at the beach, or in the water. Enjoying the Cape isn't just limited to the summer though. You can go for a hayride at Tobey Farm or apple picking at Hawk's Wing Farm in the fall. Let's not forget about the Wellfleet OysterFest! In the winter, there's the First Night Celebration in Sandwich on New Year's Eve. That night, people still have their Christmas lights up. So as you're driving through the town at night, it feels like being a kid again. Lastly, you can go hiking through the Fort Hill trails or go fishing by the jetty in the spring. Plus before the tourists come, you can enjoy the beach life in peace AND it will be warm enough. It's also never too early to break out the kayaks! And besides...

It looks pretty all year round

Foliage in Estuary, North Falmouth

Highland Light, North Truro

Orleans United Methodist Church

Many forget that people live on the Cape all year. We tough out the snow and cold sea winds in the winter and manage just fine. In the midst of it all, the Cape becomes even more colorful in the fall, a winter wonderland after the blizzard, and really blooms in the spring. Not to mention the smaller crowds...

That Cape Cod clam chowder

Need I say more?

The summer adventures

Woods Hole, Falmouth

If you love biking, running, or hiking, Cape Cod is the place for you. Whether through the forests and parks, or the sandy roads along the sand dunes and shoreline. In the meantime, you can go floating with the current through the marshes and streams, go whale watching, boating, parasailing, you name it! It doesn't stop there though. Every summer you spend there, you'll meet new people that you can instantly connect with. And who knows? Maybe they know of a secret spot on the beach away from the chaos? Or they have a boat to go cruising on. Traveling to another part of the Cape or one of the islands is a vacation in itself!

Plus, there is always some kind of fair, barbecue, parade or town event happening somewhere. Believe me, if you come to the Cape this summer, there will always be something to do and reminisce fondly about later.

The tourist traps that we fall for ourselves

Who says you can't go mini-golfing with your friends, or try some expensive seafood at some low key shack? The ice cream too is something to die for, especially if you can find the ones you get your money's worth for. They're all guilty pleasures that I can't help myself enjoying.

It's my home

Boardwalk, Sandwich

I love to travel and go to new places. I have had some of the greatest times of my life on many vacations and excursions. With that being said though, there's only one place I can truly call home: Cape Cod. I've lived here my whole life and don't really plan on changing that. Sure I will always be seeking new and exciting places to explore, as well as opening more doors to new opportunities. However, I will always look back on all the Cape has given me in my life with a sense of comfort and happiness. There's a lot to do, it has friendly people, and it's just an overall great area to be in. Everyone has a place that gives them a special feeling, a place that makes them feel at home. For me, it's every time I return from one of my journeys and I feel that ocean breeze. Every time, I am reminded how grateful I am to be a resident of Cape Cod. If you haven't already and get the chance, come see for yourself what the Cape is all about. You won't be disappointed.