Women living alone
Education

Why living alone is the best thing since sliced bread

More and more women are choosing to live alone- here's why you should too.

93
https://www.pexels.com/photo/woman-wearing-black-eyeglasses-1239291/

Living alone as a female in modern day society is becoming more and more scarce. Thanks to shows like Criminal Minds and Law and Order: SVU we have been overexposed to 'what if' situations that make living alone seem dangerous. If you Google ' woman living alone' the first article is titled, 'Top 8 Safety Tips For Women Living Alone'. There are some of us who ignore these portrayed and dramatized dangers and embrace the living alone lifestyle.

Why?

Because living alone is freakin' awesome.

Here are the top 10 reasons that living alone is the best decision you can make-

1. You can do what you want when you want

(sometimes, with who you want)

I can do whatever I want!

2. Clean or dirty- it's your choice.

Forever Unclean!

3. You can eat as much take out as you want with no judgment.

Like I can eat that whole pizza by myself

4. No clothes zone!

No bras

5. You control the remote- Netflix, Hulu, Prime- it's all you baby.

Johnny Bravo

6. No one nagging you, at all, for anything.

No nagging

7. You don't have to worry about a roommate using, moving, or taking your shit.

Wheres my coffee?

8. You don't have to track a roommate down when his/her half of the rent is due.

I gotta pay rent, yo!

9. You can rock out to your favorite T-Swift song without judgment.

Rock out

10. You get to know yourself better

I love me

Living alone is a liberating experience. Not only do you get the awesome benefits listed above, but you gain independence and responsibility. You are only responsible for you, no one else- but that also means when all the rent money isn't there it's your fault.

Living alone is a never-ending path of self-discovery. You spend more time with yourself, paying attention to your own wants and needs. Not only that, but you have the ability (and time) to address personal issues that have been thrown on the back burner. I am not saying that living on your own is a guaranteed walk on the path of self-discovery, but the more you learn and know about yourself the happier you are.

The struggle is real sometimes, well, most of the time. Were young, were in our twenties, and we still make shit decisions- like buying a box of wine instead of toilet paper. Sometimes the first of the month comes around and your a hundred bucks short on rent- it happens. What matters is what you do about it. Living alone you learn that you are the king of the bills and you either have to hustle to get that last hundred or hope to God your landlord gives you an extension. Overall, you learn to trust and take better care of yourself, so you don't end up in shitty situations.

As a woman, living alone has been a liberating experience. I have learned that cereal for dinner is perfectly acceptable, no bra = no problem, and I can binge watch episodes of FRIENDS without judgment. Grab independence by the horns and get your own place, girl- you won't regret it.