Why I like to go Home on Weekends

I am currently attending college. However, I choose to go home on most weekends unless I have a significant project or finals. Some people see this as missing out on the college experience because I do not stay on the weekend. However, what they do not realize is that my school, Long Beach State, does not have that many places within walking distance to have a good time, and the campus rarely holds events on the weekends. That means that when I am not doing homework, I am staying in my dorm room because there is not much to do. I prefer to go home on weekends because I can enjoy excellent meals, shop at my favorite stores, and it is one of the freedoms I have.

What I mean by going home is one of the freedoms I have is that I am not financially independent, and I am too young to do most of the things people do on a night out. Leaving school on the weekend is a freedom that I appreciate because for the first time in my life I can leave school whenever I want. I obviously do not go home when I have classes, but when I can go back home, I seize that opportunity. I have learned that I am not obligated to stay in college seven days a week, and I am fortunate enough to not live too far from the school. I am not worried about missing out on the college experience because most of the events and parties take place during the week at my school. So I can still balance my academic and social life.

Additionally, I can also shop at my favorite stores such as Sephora that are not close to my school. Buying at my favorite stores adds to the rush of freedom I feel because I can take my car drive home, and while I am home, I can buy at stores that I cannot visit when I am at school. Also I can shop with my mother, which always makes the experience more fun because I can get a second opinion on clothes and makeup, and I love spending time with my mother.

Lastly, when I go home, I can get some fantastic food that is not from the dining hall. Although the dining hall on campus has good food, it’s nice to be able to eat something that I was craving all week. I enjoy Indian, Chinese, Italian, etc. when I come home, instead of waiting for the next menu cycle.

Going home is not detrimental to me or my college experience. It enhances my college experience because it allows me to experiment with a higher amount of freedom than high school. In high school, you cannot leave school on a Friday because you will be considered truant, but in college, I do not have class on Friday, so I can freely leave school. I am glad that I can experience a greater amount of freedom, and I want to take advantage of it.