Why I've Lost Faith In This Country

Why I've Lost Faith In This Country

What happened to the US that people dreamed of?

212
Why I've Lost Faith In This Country
www.pinterest.com

*Disclaimer: I love my country, and I always will. I just want things to get better.

Take three and a half minutes to watch a clip from the HBO series The Newsroom and continue reading

Let's make something clear. I am half black and half white. I grew up in a Republican household, and although I vote Republican, there are several Democratic views that I stand behind. You may criticize me however you like, but do not say that I am closed-minded and do not say that I am pulling the "race card."

The terrorist attack (that's right, terrorist) in South Carolina goes beyond one man killing nine people. The reaction this country had after the shooting shows that this country is not even close to being the best country in the world, and part of that is because there is no such thing as a "best country." How we handle times like this is one of several reasons why I've lost faith in the United States of America.

I've lost faith in this country because we think that American criminals are less dangerous than foreign criminals.

Don't get me wrong, the shooting in Garland, Texas was without a doubt an act of terror, and the White House even admits to that. However, the fact that leaders of this country claim the South Carolina shooting was not an act of terrorism (for reference, see here) makes me weep. It's ridiculous that the FBI director doesn't even know the FBI's definition of terrorism (for reference, see here). No innocent person was killed in Garland. No guilty person was killed in South Carolina.

I've lost faith in this country because racism still exists.

Racism exists in this country in a variety of different fashions. Racism happened in South Carolina. Racism happened at the University of Oklahoma. Racism happened at the airport when I looked Middle Eastern because I forgot to shave. It is 2015, how can people still be racist?

I've lost faith in this country because problems like racism don't matter to us.

I can't stand social media. I do not care what Orange is the New Black character you are, and I do not care about the "sexiest man buns." I care about people's opinions about current issues. I don't care how long or passionate an opinion is, I will read it. I want us to start talking more about what is going on in our country, because we are the people who can make this country one we can be proud to live in.

The United States was, and still is, the land of opportunity. However, if attacks like the South Carolina shooting continue to happen, and we continue to respond in the manner we have, the next song Lee Greenwood will write will be called "I'm Ashamed to be an American."