Why It's OK To Still Love Your Middle School Music

Not outgrowing an obsession over a boyband is totally normal.

94
Tiffany Collins

So you’re still obsessed with that boy band, huh? Even though you’re like 20, 21? In college? You must know that you’re too old to be obsessed with that boy band, everyone reminds you. You don’t even bother asking for the AUX cord or to connect to the speaker because everyone hates your music, right? Everyone you meet goes, “Oh, yeah! I used to be obsessed with them in like, sixth grade."

After all these thoughts and comments received on a daily basis, you almost start to question your taste in music (and celebrity crushes). Maybe you are too old for this.

I am here to tell you that you’re not even close to being too old to be overly in love in a boy band--or any other artists and music you may have discovered in your middle school years. Facts are if the music makes you happy, makes you sing out loud, and gets your heart beating fast, you’re the perfect age to love it. And if you still think that one member is like the cutest person in the entire world, then so be it!

Nothing is more fun than hearing one of your favorite and “forbidden” songs come on the radio. Turn it up and jam out, roll your windows down, annoy all your friends. What, you’re out at a party and one of your favorites is on? Don’t sit down or keep chatting, pretending to scoff at the music shuffle. Stand up, dance like no one is watching, and drag your friends into the fun. And trust me, the more you let your “strange” music tastes show, the more people will admit their tastes too, and there are a lot more of us than you think.

Nothing is better than expressing your love and finding someone else that does, too. And even if you’re the only one amongst your friends, so be it. Your friends will definitely love watching you freak out and get excited about it.

Take it from me, the biggest Harry Styles fan you’ll ever meet. If you want to blast “What Makes You Beautiful” on repeat in your car, do it--you’ll have a lot more fun that way.