Why It's Okay To Be Comfortable

Why It's Okay To Be Comfortable

There's nothing wrong with enjoying the place you're in.

333
Why It's Okay To Be Comfortable
Martin Driver

Why do we, as a society, have such an opposition to being comfortable? I'm sure we've all heard the inspirational quotes. I'm sure we've all been told by a loving friend or family member, "Be careful not to get too comfortable!" We should always be striving to move forward. People are quick to tell one another that we should never rest, that we should always be wanting more. If we're comfortable with where we're at and we aren't constantly seeking the next major opportunity or adventure, there's something wrong with us.

But is that true? What's so wrong with being comfortable? People work their entire lives to be comfortable. The problem is that oftentimes we wrongly associate being comfortable with being lazy.

People say you shouldn't be comfortable in your relationships because that's when you'll fall out of love with one another. I'd like to argue that being in love is, in itself, a very comfortable and satisfying place. Yes, it's good to want to be better, but don't feel as if you have to rush out of a place where you are comfortable and happy just because the world tells you that you're doing something wrong.

A popular quote by John A Shedd reads, "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." While this may be true, there is something to said about bringing your ship home to harbor every now and then. If your ship was always out on the water, you'd never have the chance to make repairs and keep it maintained. If we are constantly on the go, we never get the chance to rest and take a breather. Often, when we're in the safety of our comfort zone, we are able to check up on our emotional and spiritual well-being and make sure they are given the proper maintenance they require.

Now, I'm not at all suggesting that you should stay in a place where you feel unhappy or unsafe. If the situation you're in or the people you're with don't allow for your happiness or safety, then you should by all means move on from them. However, there's definitely nothing wrong with stopping to smell the roses in our busy lives and you should never feel bad for feeling comfortable with and enjoying the state of being that you are in.