Why Incest In "Game Of Thrones" Totally Is Fine By Me

Kit Harrington's butt deserves all the screen time it can get.

142
hiddenremote.com

Disclaimer: This article is literally one giant "Game of Thrones" spoiler. Read at your own risk.

If you haven't heard of HBO's "Game of Thrones" by now, you must be living under a rock.

The mega-hit show just wrapped up its seventh season and will begin shooting its eighth and final season in just a few months (though it's not expected to air until 2019... *sob*.) As someone who has been watching the show for years, I can credibly say that it has been a wild ride.

From the very first season, viewers got a taste of how truly backward life in Westeros can be. We saw a romance between siblings (twins, no less), a child pushed presumably to his death from a tower window, a young girl sold as a slave to a man who she couldn't even hold a conversation with and a whole bunch of murder and conspiracy. . . And that was just in the first episode.

If you've been watching this show as long as I have, you learn that nothing is truly a surprise anymore. Deaths, shady plots, treason and unsuspected romances are around every corner. Despite having run out of book material two seasons ago (we're all anxiously awaiting The Winds of Winter over here...,) show writers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have been coming up with plausible scripts to reach the ending that George R. R. Martin, the books' author, has disclosed to them.

Many viewers have expressed disappointment and displeasure with how the show has been written since leaving the pre-mapped territory, claiming that some of the new plot lines are just not right.

One of these plot lines includes the fact that Jon Snow, our beloved bastard and King in the North, is neither a bastard nor a northman. Jon Snow is not the bastard of Ned Stark but instead the legitimate child of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark.

After having his marriage to Elia Martell annulled, Rhaegar Targaryen married Lyanna Stark in a private ceremony and then hid her away while she carried and gave birth to his child. His child, I may add, who he named Aegon Targaryen despite having a (now illegitimate) son with that name already. This caused a war that stripped the Targaryens of their thrones and basically killed a ton of people for what we've now learned was a complete misunderstanding.

Of course, all of this is unbeknownst to Jon and literally everyone in the universe except for three people.

Which leads me to my next not-so-loved plot line: Jon Snow has fallen in love with (or at least gotten in bed with) Daenerys Targaryen, sister of Rhaegar Targaryen and the person who has the most claim to the Iron Throne that was stolen from her family.

Or so she thinks (Jon technically has more claim than her, but moving on.). So, yeah, Jon is Daenerys' nephew and they've just known each other biblically.

Now, I don't know about anyone else, but I am all about this. I never planned to be, I never envisioned this pairing being a real life scenario in the show, but as soon as I saw them together I was all over it. And obviously, I realize that no sane person would be rooting for an incestuous aunt/nephew coupling.

Here's why it's okay, though:

For one, the Targaryens have been incestuous for centuries. They believed it would keep their blood line pure and keep their dragons strong. As soon as they began marrying out of their family, their dragons shrank and became mere house pets. The Targaryen blood is wicked powerful.

Secondly, they have no idea. It's not the best argument, but still. It's not like they're literal twins, who shared a womb and grew up together and conceived three (or four? Hm...) children together. Nope. Just an aunt and nephew, who have never been on the same continent before this season.

Thirdly, just think about it. The alliance would be entirely necessary to the plot. Jon's Northerners aren't going to support a foreign Queen unless she's married to and endorsed by their King. Daenerys is never going to get the support of the North otherwise.

And, if my and half of the internet's hunch is correct, they're going to have a child who will then be the successor to the throne when Daenerys inevitably sits on it because the Lord of Light knows Jon doesn't want that power.

So, sure. It's incest and if it were real life it would be totally screwed up of me to be all about it. But it's fictional and Kit Harrington's butt deserves all the screen time it can get. Sue me.