Why It's OK To Be Different

Why It's OK To Be Different

If you have ever felt different from those around, know that it's OK. God doesn't call us to be exactly alike.

31
Why It's OK To Be Different

Have you ever felt like you were different from your family or friends?
Have you ever felt out of place when hanging with your friends at a party or like there is something much more important than things of this world that everyone else is concerned with and focused on?

It wasn't until my first year of college that I felt extremely different.

I felt like I didn't belong.

I was really struggling with figuring out God's will for my life and what I wanted to do for the rest of it; I had no idea what I wanted to declare my major in.

I can remember having a conversation with my parents about what I wanted to do for a career (one of the millions of conversations we had about this). I remember telling them that I wanted to do more than just a 9-5 job, I couldn't explain it to them, but I wanted so much more out of life than just working every day for the rest of it. I remember my dad telling me to just pick a major and I told him, "It's not that simple!"

I felt different from my twin sister who had it all figured out and my parents who had no trouble picking out a major when they were in college. I felt like I should know what I was supposed to do like they did and didn't understand why I was having a harder time with it.

What I discovered was, it's OK to not fit the mold.

There are even stories in the Bible where people have felt different from those around them.

God saw that human evil was out of control. People thought evil, imagined evil, evil, evil from morning to night. God was sorry that he had made the human race in the first place; it broke his heart. … But Noah was different. God liked what he saw in Noah. Genesis 6:5-6, 8 (MSG)

Noah was different from everyone. So much so that He believed God and built an ark, even when others thought he was crazy.

I'm sure that Mary felt different from everyone when the angel told her that she would have a child, and not just any child, but the Son of God.

The Bible says "Many are called, but few are chosen." (Matthew 22:14

If you're not interested in the things a stereotypical college student is interested in, it's OK. If you don't fit in with those around you, it's OK. All that matters is your relationship with God and what He is doing in your life. God's Will is what matters in your life and if it doesn't look "normal" its OK! Just trust God and what He's doing for you. We know that He is going to complete the good work He started in you, so if it doesn't look like what He's doing in everyone else's life know that it's OK.

It's OK to be different.