Why It's Important To Support Local Bands

Even a little support can go a long way.

428
Briana Hale Photography

Too often, local bands go underappreciated. Why? Because most people would rather shell out hundreds to see their favorite big-time artists than even consider going to a local show. I’m not saying it’s bad or wrong to go see your favorite artist. In fact, I encourage it. But if you’re just sitting around on a Friday night with absolutely nothing to do, I suggest checking local venues for new music.

Now, my hometown has no music scene. Literally none. There are maybe four bands in my area. But in my college town, the local 18+ bar always has live music going on. Just a few weeks ago I saw three bands perform, and I only had to pay for entry, a simple fee of $10. All three bands were awesome, and I found some new music to jam to (best feeling ever, by the way).

There are so many reasons to support your local artists. For starters, you get to be a part of their career. How cool is that? You can watch some of your favorite people rise to stardom. Their music might reach and inspire you in a way no other artist has.

Through their entire creative process, they might be wondering “What if no one likes this?” But if you’re there to tell them “Hey, I like this,” then you’re returning the favor and inspiring them. You’re giving them the hope and encouragement to follow their passions.

Just think. Your favorite singer/band was once in their shoes. They were once sitting in their rooms, writing and rewriting lyrics, hoping to make it somewhere. Even Taylor Swift couldn’t have gotten her career without the support of her fans.

If all of these reasons aren’t enough to convince you, you’ll also get bragging rights (i.e., “I knew them before they were big”), and honestly, as dumb as it may be, it’s extremely satisfying (and inexpensive).

Supporting a local band is so easy and a lot nicer on your wallet. Their shows are usually super cheap, if not free, and merch doesn’t cost so much, so you can rep them all over the place. They play at small venues that are close to where you are, so you don’t have to use too much gas to get there.

Music may not be a big part of some people’s lives, but for others, it’s their pride and joy. When someone is willing to pour so much time and effort into their music, I think it’s only fair that we give them the same time and effort back.