Yes, I'm A Christian, No, I Don't Like Donald Trump

I'm sick of people thinking my religion is about hatred.

246
Kelsey Jackson

I identify as a Christian, and like most Christians, my faith is very important to me. What's hard is when people decide that because I'm a Christian, I'm many other things that I'm not.

When people think of Christians, they all to often think of people like Donald Trump, Roy Moore, or the guy outside your university screaming about how everyone is going to Hell. It's upsetting when people think that I'm a bigot or a non-progressive person. So many times I've been scared to tell people about my faith because I don't want them to think I'm some kind of fundamentalist monster.

So for the record, I'm a Christian, but...

I'm not homophobic.

In fact, I'm also bisexual. I believe that God made us all perfectly, and your sexuality and gender identity are things you're born with. God and Jesus are about unconditional love, not hating people because of stupid things.

I'm a feminist.

I don't believe that women have to submit to their husbands and boyfriends. I believe that women are strong and capable and much more than just a uterus.

I believe in freedom of religion.

I'm lucky to live in a country that is predominately Christian, and I can practice my faith without harassment. I believe that everyone else should have that freedom too. Islamaphobia, antisemitism, and any other hate for other religions does not belong in this country.

I don't want to be grouped in with the people who take Christianity and twist in into something that pushes people down and breeds hate. In my mind, those people aren't Christian. If I could describe my faith in two words they would be "unconditional love." That does not fit with the twisted message of the people who have formed most peoples minds about Christianity.

It's not "liberal snowflakes" that make it hard to be a Christian nowadays, it's people who preach hate.