Why Is Technology Not Doing Us Any Favors In Our Dating Lives?

Learn to date more naturally.

227
Peckdolphin / Pixabay

Growing up in the age of internet and cell phones, we have come across many ways to interact with people. Yet, interacting with people alone has actually become a lot harder. Take dating, for instance, people sign up for different applications and expect to find their "soulmate." Don't get me wrong, sometimes it works out, out of pure destiny I suppose.

In general, though, the actual system of online dating is flawed. You are told to "swipe left" or "swipe right" based on people's looks MOSTLY. Yes, some people read the bio and see if it matches up to what they are interested in, but even with that, it is very superficial. On paper, someone might "sound" like a good match, when in reality they could be just some creep on the other side of the screen.

There have been ways to "find your soulmate" through online dating but if I had to choose, I would rather go to set-up dates, like they did in the old days. Someone knew someone was single and looking to date so through friends or relatives they get set up. At least one person could vouch for them that they are a great person, which at the very least means meeting up with this person is safe. AT THE VERY LEAST.

Nowadays not only is it scary to meet up with someone you don't know from online applications and websites, it is also less natural. The fact that you can say the "right thing" by text does not mean you even know how to conversate. We actually have regressed in communication skills. Now, you'd be lucky if you use the right emoji to express your emotions which you can't do so well with words. Although it seems easier because it is quicker to meet people online, I'd stick to the old-fashioned way.

It is possible to find your "soulmate" in many ways, and sometimes you are bound to get someone after trying so hard, but the real problem isn't the searching, it's the lack of knowing how to properly act around someone new. Our experience communicating online has made us more awkward somewhat to act "normal" in person.

The reason is we are always used to having the screen in front of us and having time to come up with the wittiest or coolest thing to say. Instead of using the technology to our advantage, we are regressing. "Soon we'll forget how to talk" is what I hear from older members of my family, and I think they are right. We should go back to how it was before and learn how to use this newfound way to communicate in a less addictive manner.

Once the addiction to the internet and texting passes, I think people will eventually realize the kind of life they want to lead and that will also make it easier to find a partner.