3 Reasons Why Growing Up And Heading Into The Real World Scares Me

I find myself using my fantasies as my mechanism to cope with the cruel reality and it only makes the pain even worse.

153

With senior year of college approaching, I can’t wait to graduate from college. Once I graduate, I will be finally stepping into the adult world. However, I feel scared at the same time.

When I was young, I couldn’t wait to grow up. I imagined growing up and living a life filled with fun and freedom. But once I reached that point, I started to see growing up is a lot scarier than I thought.

Here are the three reasons why.

1. Independence

Once I separate from my parents, that means I will be on my own. It sounds easy, but it is not at all. I will be in the driver’s seat of my own life and I will be the one deciding where to turn or where to go. But the thing is I can’t expect to drive on a straight road all the time for I will eventually learn how to drive on a very bumpy road. In other words, I will have to start living as an individual and lead a life that is perhaps different from my parents.

2. Money

My parents have always told me to find a job with a stable income. A stable income is not only what separates a child from an adult, but also the key to lead a simple life. This can get very stressful, especially when I am hunting for jobs or when I graduate from college. When graduating from college, I will be stepping into the real adult world, hoping to find my dream job. But when senior year is coming near, I have been having feelings of doubt about my major from time to time. Will my dream job suffice in financial support? Or perhaps, the most dreadful thought of all, will my major find me a job at all? I have been told as long as I follow my heart and have faith in myself, that is enough. But is it enough?

In addition, in the adult world, my parents have told me about the responsibilities you have to take on like paying the bills and paying taxes. The same thing goes for those living in an apartment, you will be expected to pay rent. My parents have also told me that that I will be expected to buy your own groceries and food as well. Not to mention, as I’m growing up, I will be exempted from your parents’ insurance plan and I will have to find your own insurance plan and pay for my own insurance plan.

3. Disappointments

When growing up, I know that things will not go my way at all. I will make mistakes along the way. That’s something I have to accept and cope with. But coping with it is the difficult part. I find myself using my fantasies as my mechanism to cope with the cruel reality and it only makes the pain even worse. Then I even find myself feeling regretful and feeling depressed for a moment. The only thing to do is be strong and move on.

If you’re terrified of growing up after reading this, rest assured, it is only natural! You have learned what to expect when entering the adult world! Remember you are still young! The future is still unclear and it all matters what you do from this point on. When you’re young, make the most of what you can do and don’t waste an opportunity to learn new things! After all, the future rests in your hands.