I Am Tired Of Everyone Bashing Millennials

There's always a bad apple in every patch; don't neglect the good ones.

187
VC Voices

Millennials hold the fate of the world in our hands. Whether you like it or not, we are those who will be running this world when our elders have passed. I'm tired of seeing statements like "millennials are the worst generation" and "why millennials suck" in my suggested search or in the majority of the things trending on the world wide web. There are countless statements made about how uneducated we millennials are, yet it seems like the ones writing all of these awful things about our generation are the ones who have it all wrong.

We don't suck. These are different times, and older generations hate change. It has been proven before (and will be proven again) how much they don't like to stray from traditions. News flash: every generation evolves from the generation prior. We were shaped by your traditions and beliefs just as you were from the one prior to your own. We just changed it up a bit.

We are not selfish. We are not entitled. We are not lazy. I agree that there is a good number of our generation that fits the reputations baby boomers and gen x-ers have placed on us. However, there are a handful of responsible, grateful, and intelligent millennials you seem to neglect. We're the largest generation to the day; don't forget that. There is more to us than the media shows.

We shouldn't have to defend ourselves for the change that came with our generation. We have found new ways to live, love, and work. Older generations need someone to blame for the bad that has happened in the world. The easiest and most obvious, yet less logical, people to blame for it all is millennials. This tendency to blame is just another false coping mechanism for the world. We are not all bad and it's time someone took a stand as a part of this growing community.

Here are a few myths other generations have stated about us millennials:

1. Millennials have it easier than previous generations. --- Is this a joke? We recently came out of one of the worst recessions that was not at the fault of a millennial, yet we are the individuals suffering from the repercussions. We are also not stealing work, just for those who think they're out of work because of us. Unemployment has decreased since 2010. For millennials, unemployment is 40% higher than gen-x. In addition to this, 1 out of 5 millennials are living in poverty. This is a 43% increase from older generations.

2. Millennials are lazy. --- The average age at which a baby boomer started his or her first business was 35 years old, while the average for millennials is 27 years old. Also, millennials are, on average, starting twice as many businesses as baby boomers. This is an eight-to-four ratio we're talking about. Making our own work seems to be a productive and more logical way to take control of our situations in the work place, and it's working. We are coming out of a broken economy and making it work. Millennials have learned that they have to build their own future if they plan to succeed. It's understood that we are not going to be given a happy life without a little give and take.

3. Millennials should stop wasting their time and get a real degree. --- If a real degree lands me a job where I'm miserable in the workplace, what's the point? If I have the option to make money doing something I genuinely enjoy and love, why does that bother you? Many parents work the same mundane jobs for 20+ years. Personally, I know that my parents would want me to enjoy waking up to go to work every morning rather than finding an excuse not to go into work. Also, may of the degrees people are pursuing are stepping-stone degrees that lead to something far more important than you may think.

4. Millennials are financially irresponsible. --- As someone who has had to work for the things they want in life, I strongly disagree with this statement. In today's world, college is almost a requirement for any job. The cost of college has increased by 200-300%, leaving most millennials in debt. I'm up to my neck in student loan debt as a freshmen in college. I have no car and am in the midst of looking for a job. Many millennials are in the same situation. When you are willing to take on that debt to get a good education and give yourself a good future, you don't let yourself fall.

5. Millennials are the most self-involved generation. --- For every Kardashian, there really is someone who cares more about the world around them than their own self-image. It's incredibly sad that people actually allow the media to dictate how they view our generation. Surveys show that when asking to rate their life ambitions, over half of high school seniors stated they wanted to "contribute to society," "correct inequalities," and "be a leader in a community." We all know there are a few bad apples for every bunch, but don't neglect the good ones.

6. Millennials aren't interested in long term commitment marriages. --- This one hits home for me. I have and always will be a hopeless romantic waiting for my Prince Charming to sweep me off my feet. I am not a part of this "hook-up culture" that the media has labeled us to be. Like me, 70% of millennials state they would like to get married at some point in their lives and live to the end of their days with them. We're just waiting later to do so.

I just want the nitpicking of my generation to come to a halt. I want older generations to shield themselves from the media's blindingly-negative portrayals of my generation. Instead of creating a problem out of us, put your feet in our shoes. Learn something from us like we did from you. We're children of change, and that's our strong point. Don't bash on us for it.