I'm Putting Down My Phone For My New Year's Resolution

Life is beautiful, don't witness it through a screen.
159

I'm not usually one to be into New Year's Resolutions but this year I decided to make one I've found to be really important in my day to day life.

It's no secret that our generation is phone and technology obsessed and our phones at this point are more a part of us than any other item we own. We are on them walking to class, during parties and even while we're with our friends and family.

People are more obsessed with getting a "fire Instagram" than having a good time. What's even worse is the fact that we subconsciously have started to even base how much fun we had somewhere by the pictures we take. How sad is that? So I've taken the stand to start putting my phone down and living a little more in the moment.

Since starting to put my phone down and take in what's around me I've noticed a lot of things I never even knew I was doing. Out to eat with my friends I noticed that there are literally minutes at a time where none of us are even speaking because we're all on our phones.

So I sat there by myself with nobody to talk to for that time and it made me really sad. It also made me realize how my parents felt when I did that to them at dinner. It's not even just the fact that it's rude to people you're with, but what you're missing out on.

Those minutes lost to technology are minutes you're losing with the people you care about that you might not be able to see all the time.

Although important, losing time with friends and family isn't the only problem with phones. Studies show that people who aren't social media and technology-obsessed are happier.

How come wanting to know what you're friends are doing on a Friday night has turned into stalking their location to track them or Snapchat dm'ing to speak?

People even use it deviously to try and catch people in lies and that's just not healthy. I know it's hard for our generation to understand but humans lived without phones for thousands of years before we even got here. Not to mention our parents did too, and they seemed to turn out alright.

So don't get me wrong, I'm not saying completely forget about it or that I'm above being on my phone because of course, we need them and they're great.

But I am saying that life becomes a lot clearer when you're processing it through your eyes instead of a screen. It's healthier, safer and overall better for your relationships. So don't be afraid to put your phone down, at least for a little while.

You'd be surprised at how quickly you forget about it when you let yourself live in the moment and really take in who and what is around you.

Happy 2018!