Why I'm Proud To Be Vietnamese

Why I'm Proud To Be Vietnamese

Street food, enough said.

4973
Why I'm Proud To Be Vietnamese

As a first generation Asian American immigrant, cultural pride is a majorly important concept for me. I have never been so happy and proud to be Vietnamese, and ever since I moved away from my family this semester, I try to embrace my heritage every chance that I get.

It's sort of ironic because when I was younger, I went through a huge cultural identity crisis. For some reason, I was ashamed of who I was. (I'm pretty sure I wanted to be white at some point.)

Fortunately for me, this "whitewashed" phase I went through eventually made me realize how absurd I was being and that (heck yeah!) being Vietnamese was a blessing and a gift. In fact, I get to be Vietnamese and American. How's that for the best of both worlds?

So I started to think...how can I explain to others why I love my culture so much? In fact, why do I love my culture so much?

These questions brought about some serious self-reflection and thus, I've complied a short list of some of my personal favorite aspects of the Vietnamese culture.

1. Food (especially street food)

Vietnamese cuisine is a work of art. It is a national treasure. I shouldn't even have to explain this. But for those who haven't been blessed with genuine Vietnamese food, I will.

Every time I travel to my home country, I indulge in street food BIG-TIME. Besides seeing my family, consuming food that is prepared right in front of me is the highlight of my trip. The food is 100% authentic, fresh, and made with persistence and hard work.

If you ever visit Vietnam, my advice is to eat all the street food that you can on a tiny plastic chair and table outside rather than sitting down inside some fancy restaurant. [Click here to see Barack Obama and Anthony Bourdain do just that.] In my opinion, it's a lot better and you will get the full experience of traveling in Vietnam.

2. Parental disciplining

There's the common stereotype that Asian parents are strict and there is some truth in that. I never thought that I would be grateful my parents were tough on me, but looking back, I am definitely thankful for them and how they raised me. Because of my mom and dad, I respect myself, I hold myself to high standards, and I aim for nothing but success.

Was the process challenging (and slightly traumatizing)? Yes.

But now that I'm older, I understand that they only wanted the best for me and my future. It's clear that as immigrants, my parents suffered hardships of their own and wanted to spare me the pain. (Thanks Mom and Dad!) This type of family structure is not only present in my household, but in many other Vietnamese families as well.

3. The áo dài

Honestly, if I could wear an áo dài for any special or even regular occasion, I would. The áo dài is a traditional Vietnamese gown and is mainly worn by women, but men can wear it too. The reason I love it is because it can be dressed down or up, depending on the event. Áo dài can range from a simple school uniform to an intricate and breathtaking wedding gown. Regardless of the design of the dress, wearing an áo dài has the magical ability to make you feel elegant, graceful, and definitely enhances one's beauty.

4. Lifestyle/Work ethic

From what I had observed, most average citizens in Vietnam live a simple and organized lifestyle with daily routines. The typical schedule went as followed: Wake up when roosters crow, prepare to open shop for the day, eat a quick lunch, take an afternoon nap (literally everyone in Vietnam takes a midday nap), take care of daily responsibilities, cook and eat dinner with the whole family, go to bed early, and repeat.

What I really admire from my people is how hard they work. Nothing is handed to them on a silver platter and they know that they're not entitled to anything. If they want to achieve something, then they put in the effort to get it done without giving up. The average life in Vietnam isn't easy, but at the end of the day, when everyone's gathered together at the dinner table and relaxing with loved ones, it's definitely rewarding.

5. Scenery

Another national treasure of Vietnam would be its magnificent nature and picture-perfect sceneries. I'm not sure how I can fully describe the beauty of Vietnam while giving it proper justice, so I will provide a few pictures of the most iconic places in Vietnam to visit.

(Ha Long Bay)

(Sa Pa, Vietnam)

(Rice fields surrounding Sa Pa)

(Hội An riverside)

(Phú Quốc Island)

6. Religion

One of the most important values that I grew up is religion. In fact, my mom still calls me to remind me to say my daily prayers and go to church. In my experience, most Viet families either practice Buddhism or Catholicism. Regardless of which religion they claim to be, all religions are similar in a sense that they bring families together and create a unified community.

When it comes down to the core basis of religion, the golden rule to be good to others. Treat others as you would want them to treat you because life on Earth is so short and there's no benefit in being malicious. Being religious has taught me the values that I will always hold dear to my heart.

7. New Years

Vietnamese people always go big and all out when it comes to our New Years. The way we celebrate is significantly different from American New Years. The celebration can typically last up to a whole week (because that's how hard we go). Vietnamese News Years can basically be summed up as lucky money, lion dancing, firecrackers, back-to-back parties, and the best meals you'll get all year. It's seriously like a week-long feast.

Most importantly, it's the promise of a new year...fresh beginnings, good health and fortune, and happiness. Honestly, what's not to love?

There is obviously more to the Vietnamese culture than I listed above. And I'll admit that not everything about Vietnam is gorgeous and perfect as it may seem. Like any country, we have positives as well as negatives. But why focus on the bad?

No matter what, I will always be proud of my heritage because it's a part of me. I wouldn't be the person that I am today if it wasn't for my culture.

From Your Site Articles