Why I'm Obsessed With Wawa

Why I'm Obsessed With Wawa

My best attempt at explaining the phenomenon that is Wawa.
153

When I feel sick, I get myself chicken noodle soup from Wawa.

When I didn't get into a college I really liked, my friends got me a milkshake from Wawa.

When I'm looking for something to do at 2 a.m., I go to Wawa.

When I'm at school until late, I make a Wawa run.

When I'm going on a road trip, I stop at Wawa to stock up on snacks and gas beforehand.

Sensing a theme here?

My love for Wawa is some innate part of my being I've never quite been able to explain. Before college, I never really had to. Everyone around me always loved Wawa just as much as I do. However, when I came to college I suddenly experienced a whole new breed of people - those who don't know what Wawa is!

Shocking, right?

...or maybe you fall into this category. In that case, I'm sorry and hope my harsh judgements don't offend you. Quite frankly, I simply cannot imagine a world without Wawa, and don't understand how you've been able to survive in such a dark world for so long. I know I sound super dramatic and you're probably wondering, "What's the big deal with a gas station anyway?"

This is a sentiment I have heard echoed many-a-time since I started attending Villanova. As a self-proclaimed Wawa expert and dedicated Pennsylvanian, I feel it is my duty to attempt to explain the complicated phenomenon that is Wawa.

The most important point to note is that Wawa is not just a gas station. Honestly, most people could care less about the gas station portion. In fact, some Wawa locations are just a convenience store, with no gas station aspect whatsoever. Do I still drive out of my way to get gas at Wawa instead of somewhere else? Yes. However, this is just so I have a good excuse to go inside.

So what is Wawa then, if not a gas station?

The best place on Earth, honestly.

No, it is not just like Sheetz, and even considering them equal is blasphemy. Same goes for 7-11, Sunoco, or any other gas station/convenience store hybrids you may know. They are not the same.

The best way to learn is by doing. It has become my life's mission to take all of my newfound college friends to Wawa. You haven't truly lived before you've made a midnight Wawa run, participated in Hoagiefest, or indulged in a Tastykake.

Maybe this brought some clarity to the elusive beauty that is Wawa, or maybe this made you even more confused. Somewhere along the line, I think this kind of turned into a love letter and I started pouring out all of my feelings for this wonderful establishment. But hey, that's what Wawa does to people. (Seriously, my friend's parents even met in a Wawa!)