Why I'm Glad I Got Involved On Campus

Why I'm Glad I Got Involved On Campus

It has made my life busier but better.

29
Why I'm Glad I Got Involved On Campus
Unsplash

Throughout my freshman year of college, I didn't get involved at all in my school.

I didn't even have a job unless you count the three months I worked in the dining hall. I told myself over and over again that I didn't want to get involved because I wanted to have time for myself, to do my own thing. I went to the clubs and organization fair at my university only because my friends were going. I had no interest in Greek life and no motivation to dedicate more of my free time to working on things for my school. While my friends were out participating in booths at our fall festival and going on trips with their clubs, I sat in my room and watched Netflix. I was bored all the time because my friends were all out doing stuff.

I told myself I would get involved in my sophomore year.

As a sophomore, I am now in two different Longwood clubs: Odyssey at Longwood and WMLU (our college radio station). It is because of these two organizations that I have met so many amazing people. Not only do I enjoy participating in the meetings and school events with the people I have met, but I also love walking around campus and seeing people I know. When I am on campus by myself, I almost always run into someone from Odyssey or WMLU that I end up hanging out with. I have expanded my friend group and became closer with people I already knew because I got involved.

Sometimes the amount of stuff I have to do each week is overwhelming, I have meetings three times a week just for WMLU, but these activities help me learn time management. I have to balance work from my classes as well as Odyssey articles and projects for WMLU. The extracurricular activities also look great on resumes and as a Communication Studies major, these two will help me be better prepared for my future.

I wish that I had gotten involved during my freshman year, even if it was just to make more friends. I feel like I actually belong at Longwood because I am actively participating in the school's community.