why be a teacher

I'm Choosing, Yes, CHOOSING To Become A Teacher

Why would anyone want to pursue a career in one of the most underappreciated fields?

860
Mr. Bobak/APUSH 2017-2018 Class Picture

When I tell most people that I'm going to college to become a teacher, they have 1 of 3 reactions (or sometimes all). First, they'll be surprised and ask me why I would ever want to do that, or second, they'll tell me that I can make more money in another career field, or three, and my personal favorite, they'll be genuinely curious and ask me why I want to, and what I want to teach. I understand that nowadays teachers are severely underappreciated, and it's actually been that way for quite a long time. When we're little we're taught to look up to doctors, policemen, firefighters, nurses, etc. but what about teachers? Teachers are technically the people who teach those children who will one day grow up to be said professionals, so why aren't teachers ever recognized for that?

Overall, the main reasoning behind me wanting to be a teacher is 100% based on a handful of former teachers that I've had. They are all incredibly amazing in their own ways, and influenced me immensely, and here's why.

Mr. Bobak

Mr. Bobak was my sophomore year history teacher, and was the very first teacher that I felt really saw potential in me. His classes have a reputation of being difficult, with a ton of homework. Despite the preconceived notions I had about his class, I've never learned so much in such a short amount of time. He really knows his content and makes sure his students also know it entirely. I owe it to this class for making me fall in love with the content I will one day teach, aka social studies. I excelled in his class and developed a confidence as a student that I still have today. Mr. Bobak taught me that teachers are more than just teachers, and that they can make an impact on student's for the rest of their lives. I kind of owe it to him for wanting to become a teacher, because he's the one who initially put the idea into my head.

Mr. McCarthy

Mr. McCarthy was my junior year government teacher and one of the most passionate teachers I have ever met. I could tell that he really put his heart into everything he teaches, whether it's the Bill of Rights or something more hard-hitting like the War on Drugs. One of my most favorite aspects of Mr. McCarthy's teaching philosophy is the humor he infuses into even the most mundane subjects. Flashback to the beginning of sophomore year, learning about the Preamble could be one of the most boring things ever, but Mr. McCarthy made it fun with his story-telling and enthusiasm. As a teacher, Mr. McCarthy taught me that no matter what you are teaching, you can make it fun and interactive, and that if you're passionate enough about something, your students will become passionate about it too.

Madame Hanlon

Madame Hanlon is one of the greatest teachers in the world (in my opinion). She was my French teacher from junior high and all throughout high school, and she taught me way more than just the beautiful culture and language of the French. Madame placed an emphasis on making connections with one another, whether it just be within the classroom, or even across the world. She also valued the idea of mutual respect and kindness within her classroom, and created such an inviting environment within her classroom. Madame Hanlon taught me that a teacher has a responsibility to care for students, inside and outside of the classroom, and that making connections with one another is what makes us stronger and more successful people.

Mrs. Kozy

Mrs. Kozy was my freshman year history teacher, as well as my sociology teacher senior year. Mrs. Kozy is the only female in the social studies department of my high school, and she taught me that girls can make awesome history teachers too. Besides her knowledge on just about everything you ask her, she taught me that teachers aren't just in the classroom to teach content, they're there to teach life lessons, talk about the hard stuff, and inspire people to do better. With what Mrs. Kozy taught me, I know I will be a kick-ass female social studies teacher, who can relate to students on a deeper level, and ensure that my students stay on the right track.

Mrs. Hurst 

Mrs. Hurst was my freshman English teacher, and there was a reason why so many people within my high school referred to her as "mom". Mrs. Hurst could be hard-as-nails if you didn't do what she told you to do, but I believe that's part of what made her so special. When I let her down, I felt like I was letting my own mom down, so it pushed me to be the best that I could be. She was so warm and welcoming to each and every one of her students, and it was easy to see that she cared for her students like they were her own children. Mrs. Hurst could be a very sassy woman, but I think that's why I liked her so much, because I was the same. She genuinely creates a loving environment where her students feel safe and of course, do their work and learn as much as possible. As a teacher, I will take Mrs. Hurst's attitude, the warm and the hard-as-nails aspects, to be a well-rounded teacher, and hopefully create a classroom environment that emulates what she had.

Mrs. Schoenberger

Mrs. Schoenberger was my senior English teacher and is one of the most kind-hearted and intelligent people that I know. Senior year can put someone into emotional turmoil. It's full of not-so-fun decision making and you're faced with the fact that you're leaving everyone behind in less than year, to go to a whole new place and start all over. Through that process, Mrs. Schoenberger supported me throughout it all, and that is something that I will never forget. Besides her emotional support, Mrs. Schoenberger exposed us to the untold stories of the world, through books like "Fahrenheit 451" and "Things Fall Apart". She truly cared enough to make sure every single person's voice was heard throughout the darkest times in history, and didn't ever leave anyone out. As a teacher, I will take Mrs. Schoenberger's sense of emotional care and support for her students, and her ability to tell the untold stories, because as a history teacher, I believe that's one of the most important things I can do.

So thank you, Mr. Bobak, Mr. McCarthy, Madame Hanlon, Mrs. Kozy, Mrs. Hurst, and Mrs. Schoenberger. You guys rock.