Why I'm Baptizing My Daughter Catholic

Why I'm Baptizing My Daughter Catholic

Why I choose to baptize my daughter in a Catholic church

34
Why I'm Baptizing My Daughter Catholic

I am baptizing my daughter and many of my friends have asked me why. I'm not painfully religious. I believe in God. I believe in heaven, the rest I'm a bit skeptical on but I go to church every Sunday. It's relaxing for me and honestly, I love the atmosphere and the people. Everyone is so friendly and I'm reminded that I'm not alone; I'm part of a community. I go to a Lutheran church every Sunday with friends that became family along the way. I was raised Catholic. I was baptized Catholic, I got my first communion and confirmation in a Catholic church. And I'm getting my daughter baptized in a Catholic church. But I love my Lutheran church so much more.

There's a small backstory and I'll keep it brief. I wasn't married when I got pregnant. Everyone knows that this isn't exactly celebrated in the Catholic church but at the time, I was still attending my hometown Catholic church and most of the people there were happy for me. I was however, pulled aside by a certain member of the hierarchy of the church who asked me not to come to such a crowded mass because it set a bad example. He was very polite in his rudeness and I left that church and have only returned for two funerals this past year. But it lead to me find the church I attend now, and I couldn't be happier there!

So why am I baptizing my daughter in a Catholic church? Because it's how I was raised. She'll be baptized in the same church I was baptized in. That may not mean a lot but it means something to me. Also, a big part of it is that my grandma is Catholic. She doesn't mind that I go to a Lutheran church now, but she always told my dad to raise us Catholic and I'm not sure why (because my dad wasn't exactly on top of going to church every Sunday morning), but something stuck with me. I want her to be brought into the Catholic church now because if she's not, later on, it will be harder for her to get involved with the church.

A small part has to do with her dad. Even though he's not involved in decision making, I try to take into account what he would want or what I think he would want for our daughter. He was raised in the same church as me. His mother is a religious woman and although she wasn't consulted on it, I think she would appreciate the small gesture of having her granddaughter baptized in her church. And if her dad had been involved and got a say in her baptism, I truly believe he would want her to be baptized in the same church as us.

Don't get me wrong; I plan on letting my daughter chose her own religious path. She can be Catholic or Lutheran or Jewish or atheist. I won't love her any less and I won't argue with her about it. It's her decision and I can respect that. But as she's only about six months old right now and can't make that decision for herself, I'm making one for her. I want her to have a baptism so that later, if she wants her first communion or if she wants to get married in a Catholic church, she will have no problem doing it. I want her to have the pictures from the day of her baptism to look back on fondly; to see her godparents holding her and everyone celebrating and coming together to welcome her into this community.

So while you may criticize and wonder what the hell I'm thinking, bringing her to a church that turned me away, I don't need the negativity. I hold no grudge against the church as a whole. (Maybe a little against that particular person though). But I know that baptizing her in that Catholic church is the best decision for everyone involved. Many of you will say "But your her mom. You decide what gets done. No one else's opinion is needed." But I've come to learn that a big part of motherhood is taking into account the thoughts and opinions of everyone involved in my daughter's life. Ultimately yes, the decision is mine. But being a mother isn't about being selfish with the decisions I make concerning my daughter. It's about doing what's best for her no matter what. I truly believe that baptizing her is a great idea and a positive thing. If down the road she decides she doesn't want to continue her faith in the Catholic church, that's fine, but at least I made sure she had the option.