Why Do I Write?

Why Do I Write?

Is there one clear cut reason for what we do?

15

At first glance this can be viewed as three different approaches: I have run out of ideas, I am getting lazy or I am trying to convince people about the glories of writing. How many people guessed none of the above? Whenever I write an article there is never one clear cut reason for choosing a topic or a side I initially want to focus on.

My articles are different each time and I look for a way to keep these ideas fresh but also different. My life has changed and something that many people might not know about me is that I used to despise writing. I struggled with getting my ideas on paper, wording them in a specific way and staying on topic. To think that was how I felt four years ago still leaves me in disbelief.

What changed? What flipped the switch that made me love writing? I saw writing as a way to express myself. Not through poetry, music or even through videos, I aimed to make each story I wrote just exactly that: a story. A way to tell people about a certain point in life and how it can get better or how it can be overcome. I wanted to provide advice and ideas to people just like people had done for me.

I always loved writing narrative essays and always found ways to create stories that could be fun and make people smile. Looking back on that experience I realized I wanted to take my talent of making people laugh or smile and create a serious approach. My emotions run wild sometimes and writing has allowed me not only to keep them in check but to also find a way to discuss something important to me.

I used to think that because I was experiencing something that nobody else would understand me but I was wrong. Everyone has dealt with heartbreak, disappointment, rejection and moments they don't want to discuss. This inspired me to become someone who is not afraid to reflect on what has happened in their life. Growing up I was afraid that what I did would be viewed as different and I would be an outsider. I can look at that idea now and embrace my differences and ideas. It takes confidence and courage to discuss things personal and important to you and you should not let others get in the way of what you want to do.

When I write I can say things I might be afraid to say among others. That does not necessarily mean I can say goofy things or make up a language, it does mean that I can create an idea with my words that I was unsure about at a different time. Writing gave me confidence and it allowed me to focus on situations I was unsure of how to handle. Writing let me figure out who I was and who I wanted to be. It helped me figure out my life. It allowed me to create a purpose for others and grow along with that purpose.

There is no specific reason I choose to write or why I move from articles about sports to articles about heartbreak. I write because I want to be a voice people can look to and someone who can tell the stories some people may not want to tell. People write about events and how they overcome them and that's what I want to focus on. Maybe that is the reason I write so I can say things that other people were afraid to say. Everyone has a story and whether we know it or not it could be similar to our story as well.