I'm Graduating College Soon And I Still Don't Know What I Want To Do

Some people can't pinpoint a passion, and some people have too many

152

I have a bit of an issue on my hands. I'm a double major in Communications and Government and Politics with a minor in Business, and I have dreamt of being a kindergarten teacher my entire life. Now you might be wondering...what gives? Well here's the thing--

I have a lot of different passions.

I love marketing. I've loved writing for as long as I can remember (hence, my position here). I'm interested in international relations and politics. I grew up loving the arts. I am intrigued by the world of finance. And I love working with kids.

It might be a great thing to find things about so many different fields that I care about, but it's not exactly the best position to be in when you're a year and a half away from being a college graduate. Do I go to graduate school? Do I pursue a career in one of the degrees I'm completing? And if I do either of those things...what field do I work on?

Because of this, I realized that the best thing to do this summer wouldn't be pursuing an internship or working in an office, but rather, work as a senior counselor in a local summer camp. Everyday for ten hours, I work outdoors in the heat and humidity and keep the kids I'm watching safe, healthy and happy. With only a few days of working behind me, I have already been reminded of why I loved working with kids in the first place. They're so pure and kindhearted, even when they're driving you crazy, in the midst of their chaos you can't help but smile at how cute they are. And the best part? You have the power to make a real impact on their lives, all the while not realizing how big of an impact they're making on yours.

Every time I teach a kid to put on their seatbelt or to ask nicely to share a crayon, I know I'm making a difference. Remembering so clearly what life was like when I was their age helps me to speak to them on their level, while also being an authority figure. Over the years I've learned how to be able to build trust with young kids and get them excited to learn. Sometimes I want nothing else but to be able to make a career out of doing this everyday. I've dreamt of being an elementary school teacher since I was in the third grade (literally). I was a kid who wanted to help kids, but I'm stuck between multiple worlds.

So to anyone else who may be having this or a similar "what do I do with my life" problem too, you're not alone. Just because you graduate from school doesn't mean you automatically know what you want from life. And regardless of what you want, you're never guaranteed to have things go your way. Eventually you'll figure things out and as long as you work hard at it, you'll be successful in whatever you do. But sometimes, as exciting as being a college senior can be...sometimes it sucks.

But I have faith we'll be laughing back at this time someday soon anyway.