Should I dye my hair?
Beauty Fashion

How Purple Hair Changes My Life

This hair allows me to journey into a much larger social pool.

209
How Purple Hair Changes My Life
Mary Ellen Hunter

It seems like whenever someone makes a drastic life change, the immediate (and typical) response is to also change their hair. I wholeheartedly support this dramatic trend.

I used to be the girl that stayed within the ordinary when it came to physical appearance guidelines. However, I realized that this strongly impacted the way that society viewed me. I am a blonde-haired, blue-eyed, sorority-looking, little white girl.

Unfortunately, generalizations, assumptions, and stereotypes are very real and appearance marks that basis. These exist due to society, social media, education, history, upbringing, and so much more.

When I would wear a typical outfit (meaning a lettered t-shirt and norts) I found that I became seemingly unapproachable and people were immediately intimidated by me. Let me quickly say, I do not blame anyone for that in the slightest. Experiences with others shape our own personal mindsets.

The problem is, I am not at all what my appearance shows.

One individual once told me I look like a boring and prude narc, which is why they took over a year to finally get to really know me. They regretted making assumptions about me for so long, because if they had not, we would have become close friends much sooner. Another individual and member of my class assumed I was a "basic stuck-up bitch."

This put a damper on my heart and soul because I absolutely love people. I believe that everyone has something to offer and I, more than anything, want the opportunity to get to know as many different types of individuals as possible. I had limited myself from being able to learn and grow from others, solely due to the way I was presenting myself. No one that looked different from me was making an effort to get to know me inside, because of what I had written on my outer layers.

I sought out a way to make a slight change in my appearance. I wanted to stand out and be noticeably different, while also appearing more open and approachable from the outside-in.

At this point, I already had eight ear piercings and a tattoo, but I guess I do not have much of a naturally edgy look. So I thought 'well how can I show that I'm a fun-loving, crazy, free-spirited badass bitch… without tatting my entire body or resulting to face jewelry?'

My hair? Oh, no no no. I couldn't possibly- my hair is like my baby and most prized-possession! I had never dyed or even highlighted it in my entire life. I had never even let my hairdresser cut more than a ½ inch off for the occasional trim.

But like I always say, change is good. As hard as it was for me to get into this mindset, I knew I needed this to help broaden my existence in society.

The first time I made this change was certainly an experience. Eight hours in the salon and four parking tickets later… they cut five inches off, fully highlighted my hair to an icy-blonde tone, gave me layers and a frame, and added purple streaks to this new edition. I was obsessed with my new look, and all the friends I had made in the process there.

Since then, I have updated my pattern of purple several times (since it sadly fades after a couple of months.) Every single time I leave the salon, it is different from the time before and I absolutely love it. People in this line of work are complete artists. Doing hair is a social art and everyone has their own personal and unique style. I love seeing what each hairdresser brings to the table.

Each time, I also go more and more extreme with the coloring. I let them experiment on me with different tones and styles of coloring, which is always fun. This helped me get out of my comfort zone and allowed me to trust others more easily. Lucky for me, I have A LOT of hair to mess with.

With my new hair, I embark on a journey into a much larger social pool. It opens a window for conversation. I automatically look more kind-hearted and open, how I am inside. I suddenly do not have to put forth so much effort to try with those who don't look like me, because I look different and out of the ordinary. I don't have to vocally push my creative views and open-mindedness, because I am displaying it off too.

The purple hair has become my staple and I love expressing myself in this way.